vb315

Navy HSCP Quotas (2016-2017)

10 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was accepted to PA school back in July, and have been working on my package for HSCP since then. I am finally going to be submitting on December 1st!t With that said, I'm just curious if anyone has knowledge of how the board works? For instance, is it on a first-come-first-serve basis, and once they fill all the slots that's it? Also, if they theoretically had 10 slots for a FY, and only had 5 applicants, would all 5 applicants be selected? 

I am just trying to gauge my chances at being selected. I've wanted to join the Navy since I was around 11 haha, so I am trying my hardest! Thanks for any help you can offer!

-V

Yes, it's rolling admissions. If a candidate is qualified, then he is selected and a late even more qualified candidate would be recommended, but passed over selection if no slots available.

No, if there are 10 slots and 5 applicants, they may not all get selected. You first have to be recommended by the board.

Thank you LT, that definitely helps to clarify things! And just another question, since the board is there to recommend an applicant to be selected, who is it that actually makes the decision to accept someone into the program?

Thanks,

-V

I just wanted to update anyone looking at this thread with my situation. I got the call today saying that I've been placed on the alternate list. Essentially, as the LT told me, this means that if someone who was selected decides not to accept the scholarship, then they will call those on the alternate list.

Now, what position I am on the alternate list is another story haha. LT told me that last year he had a physiology student pulled off the alternate list for HSCP, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! The FY is over at the end of September, so hopefully I hear some good news before then!

Thanks for reading.

Just an update for anyone watching/following this post - I received a call today letting me know that someone had declined their scholarship, and I was the first alternate! They will be letting my recruiter know next week (Monday I presume) that I have been selected, and from there it's just a matter of finalizing paperwork! I couldn't be more excited for the opportunity.

If anyone reading this has experience as a Navy PA, or in the military in general, I would really appreciate some insight on your time and experience. Thanks!

Just an update for anyone following this post:

Yesterday I finished all the paperwork and officially enlisted in the U.S. Navy! I drove from CT (where PA school is) to MD (where I'm from and started the HSCP application process) to have my recruiter swear me in! I'm so grateful for the opportunity! I can't wait to commission, graduate ODS and join the fleet to help keep our sailors, marines and their families healthy. First, I just have to get through school :p

If anyone wants any information about the process or has any questions, feel free to pm me. Thanks for reading!

P.s. there's a video of me being sworn in on the Navy Medical Recruiting Station Baltimore facebook page if you're interested ;) (shameless plug bc I'm still shocked I was even selected!)

Congratulations! vb315. Just few basic questions. How long after being accepted into a program did you start the application process for HSCP? How long did it take for the application to be complete? How helpful were the recruiters?

Thanks. 

Congratulations! vb315. Just few basic questions. How long after being accepted into a program did you start the application process for HSCP? How long did it take for the application to be complete? How helpful were the recruiters?

Thanks. 

Thanks! I was accepted on July 8th, and contacted the recruiter on July 13th. As for completing the application, it took some time. There are two interviews that are part of the application (2 MSC Officers, 1 has to be in your specialty), essays, and a lot of paperwork. Unfortunately, I had to go back for repeat labs for my physical to be cleared, so that delayed it for some time. When it was all said and done, I submitted my package for the January board.

As for the recruiters, mine was SUPER helpful. He was always there to answer my emails, and always on top of all the paperwork. He got me two great interviews; one was with a PA who was a CDR (O-5). The highest rank a PA can achieve is CAPT (O-6) so that really helped my application. Also, since I lived close to Walter Reed, he took me there to get my physical, since it was a lot more laid back and a better option than MEPS.

I hope this helps.

-VB

On 6/21/2017 at 1:29 PM, vb315 said:

Thanks! I was accepted on July 8th, and contacted the recruiter on July 13th. As for completing the application, it took some time. There are two interviews that are part of the application (2 MSC Officers, 1 has to be in your specialty), essays, and a lot of paperwork. Unfortunately, I had to go back for repeat labs for my physical to be cleared, so that delayed it for some time. When it was all said and done, I submitted my package for the January board.

As for the recruiters, mine was SUPER helpful. He was always there to answer my emails, and always on top of all the paperwork. He got me two great interviews; one was with a PA who was a CDR (O-5). The highest rank a PA can achieve is CAPT (O-6) so that really helped my application. Also, since I lived close to Walter Reed, he took me there to get my physical, since it was a lot more laid back and a better option than MEPS.

I hope this helps.

-VB

Thank you for the response. It is very helpful. Depending on how my applications go this cycle, I might reach out once more in the near future. Good luck with your school!

19 hours ago, moleashish said:

Thank you for the response. It is very helpful. Depending on how my applications go this cycle, I might reach out once more in the near future. Good luck with your school!

No problem! Good luck with your applications this cycle and feel free to reach out in the future!

-VB