Incentive/Bonus plan as part of Compenation Package

Hi folks,

My medical center currently employs over 100 advanced practice clinicians and generally compensates with a one size, fits all compensation and benefits plan.  Of course, some of the practitioners who have been around longer, particularly in the specialties have seen base salaries grow, but it's really impossible to know since the medical center doesn't provide that information and most of us keep the information close to the vest.  The good news is that the executive team is beginning to realize that perhaps an incentive/bonus plan would motivate those individuals working at the median RVU rate and reward those clinicians working at the top of their potential.  My goal is to help the medical center formulate a plan.  Thus, I would like to ask if anyone can provide specifics about their compensation plans if they include incentives/bonuses.  Documentation of such packages would be an added bonus (no pun intended)!  Thanks in advance.

Rich

What type of practice do you work in? I'm now in urgent care FT~moved on from ED. We are paid hourly with quarterly bonuses based on RVUs. We have an annual target of 4180 RVU but since we are paid quarterly, once we reach 1045 RVUs per quarter we get $20 per RVU over 1045. Most of us reach this 1045 about 6-7 weeks into the quarter. Everyone is paid the same  (hourly) based on years experience so no secrets there,  and every month there is a report showing how many patients each provider has seen. Every year there is report showing how much each provider made in bonuses and their average RVU~which is generated on # pts seen and coding (so if you code well/appropriately your RVU is better of course. All pretty transparent. 

the downside of production based compensation can be poor quality work and unnecessary procedures done for the sake of upping RVUs. not a fan of this model. I prefer a high straight hourly with a bonus based on quality of work, not quantity. this can be based on # of bounce backs, adherence to quality goals(counseled on htn, told smokers to quit, etc)

politely disagree. if an organization can measure quality of work, then they should be able to call out those practitioners' upping the ante to gain RVUs and counsel towards better practice and professionalism with consequences for poor quality work and unnecessary testing and procedures.  the first thing I do before ordering any tests is review the EMR to see what my patient has recently had so I don't need to duplicate unless I feel it's necessary.  unfortunately, I can see that many practitioners don't spend the time to do that.

Archived