ER Tech Interview Advice

Along with many here I'm in the same boat of chipping away pre-reqs and trying to accumulate some good HCE. I've been a volly EMT-B for 6+ months and work a desk job, however, I've been hopelessly trying to replace this desk job with any kind of hospital experience for almost a year now. After many failed apps I have finally received an interview for my [short term] dream job: ER Tech. My EMT exp. got me the initial call from HR and I'm pretty sure reaching out to my best friend's mom (vet RN at the hospital) clinched me the interview.

My background aside, I was wondering if anyone here could chime in with some general tips, advice, words of wisdom, humor, etc. - basically anything that could help me prepare for my interview. I've checked other forums already and I'll be sure to ask people I already know that are/have been ER Techs, but I wanted to see what PAF'ers had to say.

TIA (thanks in advance, not transient ischemic attack - lame, I know)

Know your role/job expectations. Through the EMT educational experience I'd bet serious money that you were exposed to instructors who truly felt that Emergency Medical Technicians were the solution the woes of the injured person. aka: super heroes. I subscribe to that belief, being one myself. However...in the ER, the role of EMT transitions from "arrive on scene, take charge, save lives" to "follow the orders/directions of the RNs/docs" or something like that.

Be eager to work, eager to learn, eager to step in and help, be eager to support the team. Leading the team will come later in your medical career.

Good luck

repeat after me:

" I am willing to do anything I can to make the department run smoothly and any tasks you want to train me for I am happy to learn. I can work anytime you need me to including nights, weekends, and holidays".

I worked 24-26 hrs/week for 4 yrs as an er tech during college and full time(60 + hrs/week) summers. this was invaluable experience and really helped in pa school. I already knew a lot about pharmacology, minor procedures, surgical assistaing, etc.

hopefully you will get to do all of the following:

brief hx taking with vital signs

phlebotomy

im injections( at least tetanus)

splinting/wound bandaging

minor surgical assisting

pt transport

urine testing

minor lab procedures(strep/mono/etc)

labeling/dispensing take home meds

applying o2 devices/suctioning

performing ekg's

giving neb tx and doing spirometry/peak flow testing

vision/hearing screening

good luck!

EMEDPA - Your input means a lot. Thank you.

dkwee - It's tough, I know. I've been trying to get my foot in the door at local hospitals by applying to everything from food service worker to volunteer positions. However, this is the only interview I've received thus far so I'm trying my best to make it count. All I can tell you is to do whatever you can to make yourself more marketable and just keep plugging away. I wish you the best of luck.

EMEDPA - Your input means a lot. Thank you.

dkwee - It's tough, I know. I've been trying to get my foot in the door at local hospitals by applying to everything from food service worker to volunteer positions. However, this is the only interview I've received thus far so I'm trying my best to make it count. All I can tell you is to do whatever you can to make yourself more marketable and just keep plugging away. I wish you the best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update. Bad news - they gave the full time position to an internal applicant. Good news - they offered me a per diem position instead. I've already accepted and hopefully it'll turn into part/full time down the road. Thank you again Just Steve and EMEDPA for your advice. This will indeed be invaluable experience that will not only help me get into PA school (my GPA could be better) but will also help prepare me tremendously.

Thats still great news! Once you learn the basics, start making friends on other floors and offer to get cross-trained, it is excellent experience to be able to work in Peds, OB, med/surg floors etc... Other floors ALWAYS need people to fill-in for vacations, call-ins, etc....

Archived