Sign in to follow this  

I have a unique set of circumstances since graduating undergrad and I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on them? I had the opportunity to work a wide variety of health care jobs. I've genuinely loved all of them and being able to adapt to new environments and I've gotten to learn so much from different settings/specialties. Most of all, I feel like they help me see the patient much more as a whole after seeing them in different clinical settings.

However, I'm worried that since I've worked so many jobs, it hurts my chances of getting into a PA school? I have not been actively applying for these jobs, but opportunities came up while I was working (I'm fortunate that I have a lot of family friends in medicine) and I thought that, since I was in a gap year, why not take advantage of the chance to learn more about a different field in healthcare? 

• Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) at an Assisted Living Long Term Care Facility: 2 months (training hours) 
  • Patient Care Technician (PCT) on Orthopedic Floor: 3 months 
  • Medical Assistant (MA) for Family Medicine Clinic in Rural Area: 6 months 
  • Medical Assistant (MA) for OBGYN in suburban area: 6 months (current) 
  • Medical Scribe for Cardiac & Thoracic Surgeon: 3 months (current, part time)

I've recently been offered a job as a MA/medical scribe for a nephrologist through a family friend. I'm excited about the opportunity because it's a new opportunity to learn a different field and to work in a different setting. I do really enjoy my current job, but to be honest, I've feel like I've hit the point where I've learned all that I could from my job.

I'm just as dedicated to healthcare and the PA profession as I've ever been, however I'm worried. Since I've changed jobs so many times in the past two years, does it look bad from a professional standpoint? 

I'd appreciate any feedback! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mattblair
      I am trying to decide whether or not to get certified in this and get PCE from it. I want to know if most schools accept this or if they don’t really care for it. Any feedback helps! 
    • By Dlee9
      Hi there,
      I (27y/o) am making a career change from business to become a PA. I'm currently looking at possible positions for PCE. The only thing is that I'm currently making good money and I know I'll need to take a pay cut from where I'm at for these PCE jobs but I still need to be able to pay my bills. I can't quit my job to devote time to getting a cert that will take 1-2 years as I'm single and provide for myself. What kind of PCE jobs are out there that don't require a lot of time to get certified or require no certification at all that will pay well?
      Thanks in advanced.
    • By syd3333
      Just wanted some advice. Does anyone have insight to on how different types of PCE are classified? Is having 1000 hours of being a PT aide equal to 500 patient care technician? I guess there is no right and wrong answer, just wanted to see some opinions! Thanks guys!
    • By gavnj
      I feel like I'm seeing more and more current college students and recent grads on here, knowing that they want to pursue PA right out of the gate (which is awesome!)
      I'm curious what the breakdown is of pre-PA folks here who are pursuing a career pivot to PA vs those who are pursuing PA as their first career (or whose PCE/HCE job was chosen specifically to meet PA school requirements)? 
      (I've been a certified athletic trainer for 7 years and have had my sights set on PA for about 4 years --  had to spruce up the ol' GPA prior to applying -- this year is my first application cycle! I've absolutely loved being and ATC, and plan to keep my certification active as a PA, but have reached the point where I really want to be able to do more for my patients. I know, cliche... but true.)

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More