AAPA Salary Report

I am about to renegotiate my salary at work.  I make about 20k less than I should, so it is going to be a battle I have to be prepared for.  I have access to the 2013 AAPA salary report, but the current one is expensive.  I thought at some point they were offering it free to members??  

My main question is, do you think it is worth buying the new report, and for the people that have it, is it significantly different than 2013?  I am mostly interested in Emergency Med / Rural Health reports.

Thanks

I don't find the salary report to be all that accurate because it's only based on people who report their income. Asking around usually does more justice however if you're looking for proof to show your employer that you are below national avg it might help but no guarantees the report will provide that $20k figure you desire.

What state are you in? How long have you been a pa? If you're willing to disclose your salary here I've seen some pretty honest responses to help negotiate. Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salary.com seemed to be more in line with the types of pay rates I found when looking for a job. The AAPA report was way too low. Most job postings don't post a salary, but some do. Do some searches and see if you can find what other employers are offering, heck even apply. You'd certainly have negotiating power with another offer on the table!

I work as a solo provider(when on call) at a critical access hospital in the northern US.  I make 40/hr coming out to 84k/year for a 40hr week.  I take and get paid extra for call on top of that at 300/night shift and 600 per 24 hr weekend shift.  This is my second year as a PA but I have ER experience before, which is why I worked up quickly to being a solo provider.  

I would say I have average benefits.

I am going to ask for 50/hr, coming out to about 100/year plus call.  I think this is still under for the specialty (ED, hospital, clinic), but it is a desirable area, and we like it here.  

Do you guys think this is reasonable?  I am willing to walk, and have other offers, it would just be great not to leave.  They have had trouble staffing this position, so I may have leverage.

$50/HR is LOW. Like very low for solo covg in critical access area. I was solo covg in 32 bed icu but it wasn't critical access and I made more than that as a second yr graduate. When I asked for a raise they said no. When I asked again, I got a measly $2/HR ($4k ish annual) raise. They knew I had a second per diem job to help me off set my loans and probably figured if I needed the money I could just pick up more hours there however I was already working almost 60-70hrs a week between two jobs. I asked again for a raise and they said no. I walked away and found a job in the same field of medicine at a larger academic hospital where I am not solo covg and am making almost $18k more a year. Sometimes you have to walk to climb the ladder. Sucks when you like your job but need and know you deserve a higher salary. Push the envelope and show them some stats!

If it helps my best friend works in an ed in the northeast, does not provide solo covg, only has health bennies and a 401k (no cme, no pto, no licensure coverage etc) and makes roughly $80/hr plus quarterly productivity bonuses and differential for nights/wknds. She's under 5 years out of school. You should be making way more.

Archived