International Rotations

I have an opportunity to participate in an international rotation during my clinical year joining a (mostly funded) team that could actually make a tangible difference to women's health care health care in the country I would be.  However, not all my time would be clinical (program requires >30%), and there would be a language barrier between myself and the other health care providers, and I will have a translator.  While I've been assured I'll be able to do a lot, I'm questioning how much I will learn during the rotation.  We have 10 clinical rotations in my program, including 3 electives, this would count as one of the electives. 

Any advice from someone who's been there/ done that?  On one had I feel crazy for not jumping at this opportunity, but I also don't want to give up 5 weeks of learning how to become an optimal PA.  

I feel like international rotations are good in theory, but like you've already started to question - how much will you learn?  Sure, it IS a great opportunity.  And perhaps if you plan on trying to work internationally later or specialize with a similar patient population after graduation it might be a can't miss opportunity.  But I'm with you - compared to a 'regular' rotation, what will you be missing?  Not to mention additional costs and/or travel time compared to a more local or US rotation.

Personally, I understand why a lot of program DON'T offer international rotations for many of the reasons you are already concerned about.

Archived