Application Cycle 2016-2017

Hey does anybody have any tips to improve GRE Writing score?

Hi, I usually score 4.0 or above on the writing section of the GRE and I try to do just a few easy things:

1. Organize your response with structure. Think back to the typical set up of a high school essay Introductory paragraph, 2-3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion. Make sure to state your "thesis" or stance on a topic in the intro (this should be stated clearly), use the supporting paragraphs to explain/provide evidence of your point of view, and make sure to restate your thesis in the conclusion.

2. Keep a few "vocab" words in your head that can be used no matter the topic/prompt. They don't have to be really big words that no one knows...just more complex words. I practice some vocab words using a site called freerice.com which has multiple difficulty levels and supports a good cause. I use this site for the Verbal section as well

3. Write it down first. I write down my stance on scratch paper then list 2-3 reasons why. If I find myself leaning towards one view but have better explanations for the opposite point of view then I go with that one instead! Start typing quickly! More details to your explanations will come to you as you type

Hope this helps! You can always practice some random prompts online as well

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interview went well. We got a program overview and were split into A and B groups. One group attended a student panel where we were able to ask current first year students questions about the program. The other group attended an interview session with PA program faculty. Basically the applicants rotated between interviewers and were asked a series of questions one-on-one, not your typical group interview. The questions ranged from situational to standard PA program interview questions. The two groups switched after their sessions were complete. At the end, we were assigned to a faculty member to do an exit interview. This part was relaxed and a chance for the applicants to ask any remaining questions. They explained to everyone how they do rolling admission and not to expect to hear anything until the end of January. The students are out of school for the holidays and I'm guessing the faculty is as well. Best wishes to everyone who has applied! The best advice I had going in was to be myself because ultimately you want the program to be a good fit for you as much as you want to be a good fit for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived