Specfic Interview Question

Hello all! So in an interview I was asked "Tell me about a time when your decisions or actions had a negative impact on someone else." Now obviously I understand what was asked but in the moment I was stuck. With another interview coming up I'm still wondering how I would answer that question. I would like to be more prepared if asked again or something similar. Of course I know that this event has happened sometime in my life but for some reason I can't think of any answer. Has anyone else been asked this question, and if so do you mind telling me how you answered it? I have no intention of taking someone else's answer but maybe something will jog my memory. Thanks!

Do some self-reflecting. This is a question you could take anywhere. I was asked a similar question when I was in an interview. I chose to relate it to my HCE. You could use an example of anything in life really. A time you did something that had a negative impact on someone. For example, say you were an EMT and you responded to a call for a patient you saw on a regular basis. Having interacted with this patient several times you found yourself biased when considering the patients medical problem since in times past, they amounted to nothing life threatening. This could have a negative impact on the patient (someone else) as you may dismiss a symptom of this patient "faking" it when they could have been having a true medical problem. Make sense? I honestly think if you did some self reflecting on life or your previous HCE you could find something. Life examples could be things like your actions that ruined a friendship, relationship ect..

Hope this answers your question!

Do a search for "behavior-based interviews."  It's a whole style of interviewing where the interviewer is trying to find out how you will behave in the future based on how you have behaved in the past.  You can find lists of dozens of potential questions.  Then take time to do some reflection, as EMSGuy suggested, so that you can have a collection of stories in mind to pull out for future interviews.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys/gals,

I have my second PA school interview next month and am looking for insights. At my first interview earlier this week, the question was asked, "How do I expect to make the transition from undergrad work, to graduate work (aka, PA school)," as they are both very different worlds. The question kind of took me off guard, since I never considered this, but maybe this is a question in disguise. Maybe its a question about how I deal with stress, manage time, etc. I am reaching out to recent graduates and current students to answer this one.  Thank you in advanced!

Hey guys/gals,

I have my second PA school interview next month and am looking for insights. At my first interview earlier this week, the question was asked, "How do I expect to make the transition from undergrad work, to graduate work (aka, PA school)," as they are both very different worlds. The question kind of took me off guard, since I never considered this, but maybe this is a question in disguise. Maybe its a question about how I deal with stress, manage time, etc. I am reaching out to recent graduates and current students to answer this one.  Thank you in advanced!

Tip #1 - don't post the same question 4 times; it won't get you more answers.

I'm a firm believer that it's best to answer interview questions (school, jobs, whatever) to the best of your ability.  Don't worry about a deeper meaning.  And don't worry about what other people think the answer should be.  The point is for YOU to answer the question.  And honestly, while it may have caught you off guard, this one certainly shouldn't require too much effort to answer.

DO NOT SEARCH FOR DEEPER MEANINGS!!  Many interview questions, whether they be for jobs or for schools, do not have a correct answer and therefore do not have a deeper meaning.  The interviewer is trying to catch you off guard to see how you well you can think on your feet.  This is the only way they can actually get to know you better.  Also, you would be surprised how easily an interviewer can see through your "prepared answers."  They come across canned, which is not positive.  Interviewers want real, they want YOU, not some memorized answer which is probably the same thing they have heard from the other 50 people they've talked to that day.  You want to be remembered, you want to stand out - obviously for good reasons.  Be different.

Is it worthwhile to review interview questions?  Yes, but not to memorize someone else's answer.  Think about it for yourself and get used to that way of thinking and being able to remember stories and events.

I was asked at one of my interviews, "What is the last book you read for fun and what did you learn from it?"

They wanted to know if I read and if I am able to think critically.  They didn't care whether that book was Twilight or War and Peace.  The interviewer cared about how you apply your experiences to your life.

If you are asked the question about the book, please don't say Twilight or the equivalent, and also don't say War and Peace!! ;-)

Archived