Yale vs Quinnipiac

Hi everyone.

I have quite the dilemma, though it is a good one to have. I've been accepted into several really good PA programs, but have whittled down my list to two: Quinnipiac and Yale. While I personally believe that Quinnipiac has an all-around better program (in terms of facilities, preparation of students for their clinical year, leadership and community service emphasis and opportunities, and the friendly vibe I received from the faculty, staff, students to one another and to myself) than Yale's, I'm facing some pressure from my mother to attend Yale because of their name. I went to a rather prestigious undergrad institution, so she's trying to make it seem like I "deserve" and "need" to have Yale on my resume. While I know I could attend the Yale program and succeed in almost all of the ways that I want, I just feel more at home at Quinnipiac, I'd get out 4 months earlier (which is 1/3 year of salary I'd be losing that I could put toward loans), and the students I've met at Quinnipiac just seemed more excited than those at Yale.

The hard part is that I owe my mother a lot. She (along with my father, though he's not putting any pressure on me) has put a roof over my head for 19 years (don't worry, i'm not 19 years old) and has provided much emotional and financial support. She doesn't really ask me for anything and this seems like something that would really make her happy. Given her age (62) at my graduation from PA school and the amount of time it'll take me to get out of debt from PA school, I'm not sure how many other opportunities I'll have to make her happy.

Essentially, my question comes down to this: is the Quinnipiac name/reputation (ranked 5th) only well-known in Connecticut, only in the Northeast, or is it well-known across the nation? I know the Yale name is internationally known. But I think that name/reputation may only matter for the 1st job you get out of school, at which point the letter of rec from previous employers/preceptors probably play a bigger role, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Would any Yale or Quinnipiac grads care to comment on this? And any other PAs in general who can speak to the reputation of these 2 amazing programs by referencing any interactions they've had with their grads?

Thanks so much!! This is easily the biggest (and probably happiest) decision I've had to make my entire life, so any guidance is super appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Archived