Critical Care Residency

Hello all!

I was hoping a few of you out there might be recent graduates (or know of someone who is) from one of the PA Critical Care residency programs. I am starting to look at the different programs that offer them, and while reading the curriculum is helpful, it does not account for first hand knowledge. I would love to discuss your experiences with your program and get your thoughts.

So far,  I am looking at Montefiore, Johns Hopkins, Emory, and Mayo. I will expand/narrow the list as I am able to get some more information. I hope to hear from a few of you! It would be great to have a nice CC residency thread for folks to reference,  it seems most of the info available currently is for EM.

Thanks everyone, hope to hear from you!

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I was hoping a few of you out there might be recent graduates (or know of someone who is) from one of the PA Critical Care residency programs. I am starting to look at the different programs that offer them, and while reading the curriculum is helpful, it does not account for first hand knowledge. I would love to discuss your experiences with your program and get your thoughts.

So far,  I am looking at Montefiore, Johns Hopkins, Emory, and Mayo. I will expand/narrow the list as I am able to get some more information. I hope to hear from a few of you! It would be great to have a nice CC residency thread for folks to reference,  it seems most of the info available currently is for EM.

Thanks everyone, hope to hear from you!

Hopkins offers an October-October residency. Usually 4 residents, who work through the various ICU (SICU/CVSICU/Neuro/MICU/CCU) and elective speciality rotations. Working 60-80 weeks, you get what you put into such an experience.

I think if you are a gunner and highly motivated, these are great experiences. If your timid and not willing to step up to get experiences (run codes, grab procedures) your going to have a tough time getting a fantastic experience since PA residents have to fight it out for procedures with interns/residents.

Note: I never have done a CC residency, only have seen/worked with PA residents firsthand in the ICU.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I completed a critical care cardiology residency at Piedmont Hopsital in Atlanta and loved the experience. Lots of procedures, running STEMI calls, bringing people back from the brink. I agree with what another poster said about the importance of drive and motivation - you need to want to get knee deep to get the most out of any residency. 

Archived