University of the Pacific (Sacramento) '16-'17 cycle

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your interview. When did you apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied very late! I sent in my CASPA application January 17 and got the email the same day saying I was under review. Two days later I got the email saying I passed their initial screening, and then February 8th I was invited to interview march 13!

I applied very late! I sent in my CASPA application January 17 and got the email the same day saying I was under review. Two days later I got the email saying I passed their initial screening, and then February 8th I was invited to interview march 13!

That is awesome!! Congratulations!! I got the same two emails, now I'm just waiting and hoping I get an interview offer. I know that they are really focused on getting local candidates and vets into their program. As I am neither, we shall see....

Congrats everyone on your interview invite! Don't be too stressed about it. It was such a fun day that I didn't even notice how fast time passed by. Before we knew it we were done with the whole process. 

What I can tell you is that there was no surprises. It will be what you expect from an interview, but the faculty are great and very nice. During your interview they may not be showing any emotion and have a blank face, but that DOESN'T mean they don't like you. Just be honest with them and with yourself. Know why you want to be a PA and don't give them an answer just to make them like you. Speak from your heart. When I interviewed I felt I wasn't giving them good answers but they were my answers and truly came from my heart and my experiences. I talked about people or events that affected me the most and made me go for PA. Talk about YOUR inspirations. I know you've heard it before but honestly just be yourself and be a team player. You're gonna shine. 

Good luck everyone :) 

That is awesome!! Congratulations!! I got the same two emails, now I'm just waiting and hoping I get an interview offer. I know that they are really focused on getting local candidates and vets into their program. As I am neither, we shall see....

There's always hope! I'm coming from 4,000 miles away so I am far from local! Last year I applied at the end of February and was rejected the next week

There's always hope! I'm coming from 4,000 miles away so I am far from local! Last year I applied at the end of February and was rejected the next week

Thank you!! And thanks for giving me hope, so far I haven't received a rejection email.

Yes, every interview has a writing portion. Differs per program though. Some have you do research and type, others you may write about something specific (usually lots of topics), or  most of the time  there will be questions about yourself that you write about. It's not difficult, definitely don't stress this portion of the interview. As long as you are capable of formulating thought and writing complete sentences, which I hope you are, you will be fine. 

What exactly does the interview process entail/how is the interview set up?

UOP's interview is an all day thing (8-5). Most other programs are a half to full day as well. There is typically an introduction, usually the dean or director of the program will give you some info on the program, you get to ask a couple of questions here at the end. There is typically some sort of Campus Tour, current students will show you around, you definitely get to ask questions here. Breakfast and/or lunch is usually included, I've had some interviews where staff or students join you for this, and another where it's just the interviewees! This is low stress, just eat and be professional and be your normal social self! 

Then there may be a writing portion. See my post above, again, no stress! You won't be given some crazy topic, you usually write about yourself. 

Panel and Group interviews. Panel varies... could be 1 on 1 you and the interviewer, or sometimes there is 2 of them and 1 of you. Usually 15-20 minutes, they ask about 5 questions (this definitely varies). Know why you want to be a PA and why you like their program, if you can do that, you're golden. They just want to get to know you.

Group interviews: In my experience, these are usually more like group discussions with other interviewees. I've been on camera before, but usually it's just a member of the faculty observing the group's interactions while discussing a topic. Often, an ethical situation. Not sure there is a right or wrong, they just want to see you be a team-player!

Good luck everyone, hope to meet some of you soon. (I'm interviewing March 15, message me if you are too!)

UOP's interview is an all day thing (8-5). Most other programs are a half to full day as well. There is typically an introduction, usually the dean or director of the program will give you some info on the program, you get to ask a couple of questions here at the end. There is typically some sort of Campus Tour, current students will show you around, you definitely get to ask questions here. Breakfast and/or lunch is usually included, I've had some interviews where staff or students join you for this, and another where it's just the interviewees! This is low stress, just eat and be professional and be your normal social self! 

Then there may be a writing portion. See my post above, again, no stress! You won't be given some crazy topic, you usually write about yourself. 

Panel and Group interviews. Panel varies... could be 1 on 1 you and the interviewer, or sometimes there is 2 of them and 1 of you. Usually 15-20 minutes, they ask about 5 questions (this definitely varies). Know why you want to be a PA and why you like their program, if you can do that, you're golden. They just want to get to know you.

Group interviews: In my experience, these are usually more like group discussions with other interviewees. I've been on camera before, but usually it's just a member of the faculty observing the group's interactions while discussing a topic. Often, an ethical situation. Not sure there is a right or wrong, they just want to see you be a team-player!

Good luck everyone, hope to meet some of you soon. (I'm interviewing March 15, message me if you are too!)

Thank you so much for these details. Have you had an interview at UOP before?

I've had a couple interviews that required a writing portion. One school both schools asked some ethical questions such as "What would you do if if your patient asked you not to tell his condition to his family?"

Thank you so much for these details. Have you had an interview at UOP before?

I haven't. Based on the email and some people I've talked to that have interviewed, it'll follow the same format as above. The biggest advice I've gotten is know yourself and then be yourself. Know your background, your experience, and your stories... Then just practice on condensing them into a few minutes, practice this out loud so you know what you sound like, so you can pull these stories out when you need some examples. Other than that, be yourself. The interviewers are good at a Poker face, but be yourself and the rest is out of our hands!

I haven't. Based on the email and some people I've talked to that have interviewed, it'll follow the same format as above. The biggest advice I've gotten is know yourself and then be yourself. Know your background, your experience, and your stories... Then just practice on condensing them into a few minutes, practice this out loud so you know what you sound like, so you can pull these stories out when you need some examples. Other than that, be yourself. The interviewers are good at a Poker face, but be yourself and the rest is out of our hands!

Thank you very much for your info. Good luck on your interview!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived