Need Advice for Interviews

Is it frowned upon in interviews to mention that you pursued getting into medical school but weren't able to get in. I graduated undergrad in 2012, and for about a year after graduating there is a gap of nothingness (well I was really studying for MCAT and shadowing doctors). So, if that gap is asked about in interviews, should I just be honest?

Hopefully you have been dilligent shadowing PAs and getting healthcare experience in the years since.

There is nothing wrong with changing your path in life.

If it were me, I'd be honest, but I would have been dilligent about pursuing the PA route and would not look like the new career path is a consolation prize.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest GoyaHoya69

I was just at an interview where I met a girl who was pre-med in undergrad and took the MCAT, but she said she didn't report the mcat on her caspa app, nor did she intend to mention her previous aspirations for med school during that day's interview. I don't know if they asked her about it, but either way it seems like there really are applicants out there who had heavy med school aspirations in the past and are now currently concealing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was honest and upfront about pursuing medical school in the past. Reported both times I took the MCAT in my application (and they weren't good numbers). I had an interviewer ask me about a time something happened that wasn't favorable and what I did about it. I talked about how I had initially wanted to go to medical school, and didn't get in. Major disappointment. But I capitalized on the fact that it turned out to be the best thing for me, because I went out into the medical field, got some great experience/personal growth, and discovered the PA profession, which better aligned with my priorities in the first place. I've received interviews at 5/7 of the programs I've applied to (other two haven't sent out any invites yet) have 1 acceptance, 1 denial, and others are pending. So I suppose it worked out for me. Depends on what you feel strongly about, I suppose. I've been of the opinion that honesty and transparency is the best way to be genuine, and to truly gauge goodness of fit. If they don't like your past, then it probably isn't a good fit for ya anyways.

I would be ready to explain what made you switch career paths. Why do you what to go to PA school and not medical school? Either of these questions are pretty typical interview questions.

There are a lot of people who thought med school before considering PA, so it's nothing that will turn the interviewers off. Unless the only reason you want to be a PA is because you didn't get in to Med school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived