Masters Vs. Bachelors Vs. Certificate

I am applying to many great programs. I am applying to the ones I think I have the best shot of getting into. 80% of these programs will award me a master's degree upon completion, but one offers a certificate for people who already have a bachelor's degree in some other discipline, as I do, and another offers a second bachelor's degree for a two-year program. My question is for people who actually have had to deal with having anything other than a masters degree in the current job market, or someone in charge of hiring, who can shed some light on this topic. I have heard Duke only hires masters level PAs. I am sure when competing with a masters level clinician you lose points in the job hunt, but have you had to deal with lower pay and/or less opportunity?

Next thing you know, it will be all doctorate degrees..

I graduated from one of the few remaining programs that offer a bachelors option. Those second career folks out there (like I was) will find it more difficult to matriculate I think if the doctorate becomes the norm. It's funny you can't get prescriptive rights with a bachelors. Minus the Capstone project, there wasn't much of a difference between the bachelors and masters at my program didactically speaking.

Choose a program that fits you and go with it. I'm a bachelors recipient and I had absolutely no problem finding a job ( had several offers prior to graduating).

Next thing you know, it will be all doctorate degrees..

I graduated from one of the few remaining programs that offer a bachelors option. Those second career folks out there (like I was) will find it more difficult to matriculate I think if the doctorate becomes the norm. It's funny you can't get prescriptive rights with a bachelors. Minus the Capstone project, there wasn't much of a difference between the bachelors and masters at my program didactically speaking.

Choose a program that fits you and go with it. I'm a bachelors recipient and I had absolutely no problem finding a job ( had several offers prior to graduating).

There was no technical reason to require a masters for prescriptive rights, but our state did. A good bit of that was likely due to NPs, who were getting their own master's degrees at the time.

If it takes the same length of time to get either, I would recommend the masters; you never know what you'll face downstream.

There was no technical reason to require a masters for prescriptive rights, but our state did. A good bit of that was likely due to NPs, who were getting their own master's degrees at the time.

If it takes the same length of time to get either, I would recommend the masters; you never know what you'll face downstream.

It was always in the cards for me to do it. Just was a less expensive route (20k difference) with the bachelors option. I will definitely be pursuing a masters after getting my feet wet and some student loans laid down. Especially as I have an interest in teaching in the future.

Always opt for the higher degree if you have the option. Just akin to taking classes with labs, my friend was asking me about his pre-req for PT school, whether he should do the physics lab even though the school he's applying to doesn't need it. My answer: always take the labs for classes that have them, that way you have a buffer just in case. 

Bottom line: don't take the easier route if you can avoid it. There is a reason its the easier route. 

PT are transitioning to doctorate degrees as well. That in itself gives you an idea of where these programs are going.

Archived