I would like to find out what is the typical schedule for students during first and second year. I know that it can be different during clinical rotations, but just to get an idea about real workload at Malcolm.

Do you start at 7 am every morning and when do you get home? This is important for me because I have to make arrangements for my family and kids if I'm going to be accepted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Malcolm X College PA program has a new director and dean (winter 2012). They come with a lot of energy and great expectations (I mean this in a good way). It is true that in the past classes usually ended in the early afternoon with the knowledge that you must attend clinical activities, small group simulations, and assist with community health fairs throughout the semester in addition to coursework. Now students are expected to attend classes from 9 until 5 and attend small group simulations, clinical activities, etc. Some weeks students attend classes from Mon – Sat; students are expected to be available Mon – Sat for the program. Classroom attendance is mandatory.

If you are considering physician assistant school and you have minor children, your success will depend greatly on the support system you have in place for your family. Quality and dependable day and night care is essential for both the well being of your family and to give you a piece of mind in order for you to take on the challenges of such a demanding program. It is not impossible, but as I have observed with students in this situation, it is emotionally, physically, and financially taxing. I waited until my youngest was a junior in high school because I did not have family that could help with the children or the finances. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Archived