Class of 2019

Good morning, new friends! I interviewed with the first round and got my acceptance email within a week...and cancelled everything else right away. I am so stoked to be going to Duke! 

I know this topic has been throroughly discussed, but I wanted to put my two cents in; regarding the "convictions" question, I would suggest erring on the side of caution and listing every minor traffic infraction. As a current student said, you don't want to come across as dishonest or unwilling to admit having done wrong. I think the evaluation of our characters is ongoing, with the Duke PA Program. They want us to be not just good PAs, but good people!

I'm pretty relieved this semester is over and August is just a few steps closer...we're almost there, guys!

Becca

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becca:

I applaud your desire to be as transparent as possible, but you can ask Wendy about that concern. I can guarantee you they don't care about a few speeding tickets. What they're concerned about are criminal offenses – stuff that goes to Criminal Court instead of Traffic Court. It's not worth the time and effort to educate someone as a PA if they can't obtain a license to practice after graduating. In other words – they're concerned about misdemeanors and felonies, not about moving/non-moving violations of civil code.

But to each their own. I understand the anxiety of not wanting to come across as dishonest.

When in doubt – just ask Wendy.

–Tapatalk for iOS–

I have an interview in January for duke! I have interviewed at two other top ranked programs, but was not able to secure a spot in the upcoming class. I talk to the admissions and they really can't tell me anything I need to work on, so it's hard to no what to fix. I really want to nail this interview, any tips on how I should prepare for january!? Any tips will help!!

I have an interview in January for duke! I have interviewed at two other top ranked programs, but was not able to secure a spot in the upcoming class. I talk to the admissions and they really can't tell me anything I need to work on, so it's hard to no what to fix. I really want to nail this interview, any tips on how I should prepare for january!? Any tips will help!!

As corny as it sounds, be yourself. They want a diverse class so really show what makes you unique. Avoid the idea of having to fit into a box. This will also help them see your personality in your answers. Good luck!

Agreed- being yourself is really your best bet. I've gone to other interviews and had answers that I thought were PERFECT for each question (and then got waitlisted or denied). At Duke, there's no cookie cut answer. Best tips I can give you for preparing: know why you want to go to Duke (what specifically about their program interests you), know what you have to offer to the program, and lastly know your application and your experiences to draw "stories" from- what have you done in the community, organizations, and volunteerism, etc. that make you stand out?

• 1 month later...

I was wondering the same thing. If I recall correctly from the interview day, I think we can fill it out at any time using 2015 tax info. Can anybody confirm this/has anybody done it yet?

I done it already, used my 2015 Tax info. It lets you import that info. directly from IRS website.

I wanted to know if others are doing it and getting in touch with Duke about it. Because I was thinking of check with Duke if my FASFA thing looks alright to them. Its my first ever time doing it and first time looking into student loans etc.

Other thing I was curios about was loans, how people are thinking of financing school.

I already submitted my Fafsa last month. Nothing from duke regarding FA but many people have said they don't get to you until closer to summer.

I'll be financing school completely through loans. I've figured out my personal cost of living (food, gas, personal bills etc) and factored in Durham CoL (rent, utilities etc) to figure out how much of a loan I need (less than duke's CoA, I live frugally as it is) and a couple months after school worth of bills in case it takes a while with the job situation.

I already submitted my Fafsa last month. Nothing from duke regarding FA but many people have said they don't get to you until closer to summer.

I'll be financing school completely through loans. I've figured out my personal cost of living (food, gas, personal bills etc) and factored in Durham CoL (rent, utilities etc) to figure out how much of a loan I need (less than duke's CoA, I live frugally as it is) and a couple months after school worth of bills in case it takes a while with the job situation.

I also made an estimate and so far I think I can manage with a little bit less than Duke`s estimate. But I am still trying to find ways to see if i can somehow manage to pay off interest during school, so as not to accrue too much of it. 

I will also be using 100% loan money... I spoke with Financial Aid awhile back and was given this resource. From my understanding, if you are eligible and receive both loans... this will suffice if you fit within the outlined budget.

https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/medschool.duke.edu/files/field/attachments/pabudget.pdf

I made a budget, but at now my thinking is to how to cut down or make sure that I do not pay way too much interest. So I am just trying to look for ideas about that. 

Archived