Class of 2019

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A speeding ticket is not a Misdemeanor or a Felony, unless it involved a serious situation like Vehicular Homicide or Manslaughter. A simple traffic ticket is simply considered a civil infraction, much like a parking ticket. Not a "crime".

Got accepted for DPAP!

So about speeding tickets? Did you all mention them and chose Conviction as yes?

Also I have signed the forms on website but nowhere I can find information about how to pay to secure the seat. Any ideas?

–Tapatalk for iOS–

A speeding ticket is not a Misdemeanor or a Felony, unless it involved a serious situation like Vehicular Homicide or Manslaughter. A simple traffic ticket is simply considered a civil infraction, much like a parking ticket. Not a "crime".

–Tapatalk for iOS–

Thanks, also do u know where are payment options listed?

Just my two cents, but a speeding ticket can be a misdemeanor depending on the state. Virginia and North Carolina both have strict speeding laws, anything above 80 will get you a misdemeanor unless you can fight it and in NC they have the right to arrest you on scene for it. Just what I've learned from my close friends. I would definitely double check state laws.

Just my two cents, but a speeding ticket can be a misdemeanor depending on the state. Virginia and North Carolina both have strict speeding laws, anything above 80 will get you a misdemeanor unless you can fight it and in NC they have the right to arrest you on scene for it. Just what I've learned from my close friends. I would definitely double check state laws.

I had two tickets in 2012. Since then I have not had any. But first in 2012 was dismissed by DA`s assistant and for second I plead PJC. So do you think these show up in background check?

If you're aware you've been charged with a Misdemeanor, then of course, let the Admin know about it ahead of time. However, a typical run of the mill speeding ticket is almost always just a civil infraction. If they charge you with a Misdemeanor offense (like driving over 80 - which, I assume, they would charge as reckless driving), you would be written a notice to appear in court or you would be read your Miranda rights and then be arrested.

There's a difference between a ticket and fine and a Misdemeanor criminal charge. One gets processed in traffic court. Another goes to criminal court.

–Tapatalk for iOS–

Hi —

Current first year here.

You will get periodic updates from Duke PA Admissions throughout the rest of the year; or at least my Class did. Tske it with a grain of salt because Duke likes to try new things and see what works best. They constantly innovate.

However, that said, I would have you assume that the brunt of the communication with the Program will really start around April-May. You'll get information about Housing (a first year student survey of best options), Student Life (clubs, sports, campus arts, volunteering), Durham and the Greater Triangle Metro Area, Academics, Summer Reading Assignments (TR Reid's "The Healing of America" and Peggy Leonard's "Quick & Easy Medical Terminology"), Transportation, Fall Registration, etc.

The Class Facebook Page will eventually become a treasure trove of resources – from sharing info about Housing Searches (one of the people in our class, for example, put together a really detailed roommate matching survey as a Google Survey). Many current first and second years will also use the Facebook Page as a place to pass down books, furniture, and other miscellaneous items for cheaper than you'd likely ever find online.

For now – I highly encourage all of you to NOT think too much about School. In fact – please use your free time wisely. Go take road trips. Take a flight somewhere new. Nap on the beach. Go hiking or biking. Do yoga. Watch movies or NetFlix binges. Have as much fun as possible.

You'll have plenty of time to freak out about all sorts of stuff once you get here.

My one caveat: My general impression is that the people who waited the longest to find housing were also the least satisfied with their eventual situation. I took a trip to Durham around late April to start looking at places to live in the area. I kept communicating with several buildings that I liked between April and easy June. I Eventually negotiated signing my Lease for the very tail end of July.

Important Note:

Many places have special move-in rates before the heavy summer traffic of other undergrads and grad students hits the area. That's when the best deals are struck, in my opinion. If you can manage it (and I realize some just cannot for various reasons related to jobs, family obligations, etc), try to move out here about 2 weeks before school starts. That way, you have plenty of time to move in your stuff, get organized, fix any living situation problems that might arise, have time to relax a little, and then drive around Durham and other parts of the Triangle to get a feel for the area. I also highly encourage you to walk around Duke's Main Campus sometime. It'll remind you how lucky you are to be here. Duke is such a beautiful, special place to learn. And an even more special place to learn Medicine in particular.

I hope all of info this helps!

–Tapatalk for iOS–

Archived