Multiple acceptances

I need some advice on having multiple acceptances. I have been accepted at two different schools, one very well known school attached to a large academic medical center and one a more community based program with a larger class size. They both have great features with the only real difference being dissection vs. prosection.

Anybody experienced this situation have any insights on how they made a decision or hindsight on the experience?

I think you need to weigh out the pros and cons of both schools. Decide where also you would like to work after you graduate (if they are in different states). I think there are many things that could weigh in on your decision, but ultimately think about where you felt like you fit best. When I was applying I attended only 3 of my 8 interview offers because I was accepted to all 3 of those programs. In terms of the anatomy portion, 1 was a dissection lab, 1 was prosection lab, and the other didn't have a lab component to it. My decision wasn't made solely on the anatomy portion, however I was wanting more of a dissection lab if possible. Ultimately there were other factors that led to the decision on the program I chose, so I think you just really need to write out a list in order to determine where you think you will fit best. Good luck!! 

Your description of the programs makes it sound like the difference in anatomy is but one of the differences.

Differences in PANCE passage rates? Are the rotations equal? Can you do rotations where you'd eventually like to live? How supportive are the faculty? How large is a "large" class?  Differences in cost (including living expenses)?

Pick the place that best meets your needs. Anatomy will be over in a few months, but your school experience will go on...and on... and on.

Good luck!

The rotations at the academic program offer more electives. It is also a longer program and therefore costs more. The cost of living is fairly similar and both programs involve an out of state move.

I have made a list of key differences, the trouble is I felt good at both schools, just for different reasons. I eventually want to end up in pulmonary/critical care and feel like the academic facility offers a better opportunity for this experience.

I think you need to weigh out the pros and cons of both schools. Decide where also you would like to work after you graduate (if they are in different states). I think there are many things that could weigh in on your decision, but ultimately think about where you felt like you fit best. When I was applying I attended only 3 of my 8 interview offers because I was accepted to all 3 of those programs. In terms of the anatomy portion, 1 was a dissection lab, 1 was prosection lab, and the other didn't have a lab component to it. My decision wasn't made solely on the anatomy portion, however I was wanting more of a dissection lab if possible. Ultimately there were other factors that led to the decision on the program I chose, so I think you just really need to write out a list in order to determine where you think you will fit best. Good luck!! 

Is it considered more difficult to find a job in a state other than the one you went to school in? 

Is it considered more difficult to find a job in a state other than the one you went to school in? 

Not necessarily. I know that there is the opportunity though that some students get offered positions during their clinical rotation year. Also, with you doing your rotations in an area you want to live and practice at after graduation, you are able to network and build relationships while you are a student that can help you when you are looking for a job. 

Archived