ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

OK I am trying this PA thing full speed.  Army veteran twice.  Ranger, LRSD in Korea and 82nd first tip.  And then I went AGR in the Guard in 2005 as a recruiter, I sold the IPAP program pretty hard since I was in the number 17 county in the country for per capita income.  I always told my wife if I was 20 again I would do the IPAP program.  

Well I aint 20! I will be 44 in August and I am already in Voc Rehab to get an MBA.  All I have to do is 1 extra year of pre-reqs since my UG is Business Management and then the 2 years of PA school.  I live three doors down from the Dean of Admissions of a college that has a PA program.  Hopefully that helps more than a lot.  I took the GMAT and got a great score so I should do well on the GRE.  Have already scheduled my prep course.

All I have to do is convince the VA that this is a good idea!

MLS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

70B Medical Service Officer Active Duty for 4.5 years

ROTC at University of Washington in Seattle, WA

Served at Fort Campbell, KY and currently serving at Fort Knox, KY

I was just accepted into a PA program! There are certain schools that appreciate our experiences and others that do not understand. But I believe all military Soldiers/ Officers bring unique experiences/ leadership to the schools they apply to. I am happy to help anyone preparing for interviews, it's just a matter of highlighting and selling yourself a certain way! Good luck to everyone! And again thank you for the sacrifices you have made!!

• 2 weeks later...

Army enlisted Infantryman turned Medical Service Corps officer.

2000-2002: Infantry (11B) in 25th ID, Schofield Barracks, HI

2002-2004: "Green-to-Gold" ROTC Cadet / Georgia Army National Guard

2004-2009: Medical Service Corps in 3rd ID, Fort Stewart, GA

2009-present: Army Reserve

Left Active Duty in 2009 and got an MBA full-time, been working in hospital supply chain since then.  Applying to civilian PA schools in the 2015 admissions cycle.

Considering either Navy HSCP, returning to Army AD, or staying USAR and taking the repayment option after school.

Thanks for the forum, great resource!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I joined the guard as a 91W in 2002, then got the 11B MOS so the battalion couldn't task me out to any other company during our deployment. My unit used me as a 68W but I got a CIB in Iraq because of my DMOS and PMOS being listed as 11B. Got out in 2014.

Currently working for the VA as a psychiatric nurse assistant, trying to pursue PA school. Applying to Stanford this cycle before they require a BS (right now they don't require anything) and OHSU for their BSN program.

• 4 weeks later...

-Active duty Army 12A (last 7 yrs)

-Former Army 68P (3 yrs)

-10 yrs of Active Service with one deployment

-Accepted into the EVMS MPA program and I start January 2016.

-Will continue in Reserves whilst in school with goal of serving as a PA following graduation

These forums have proven to be invaluable. Becoming a PA is a goal I have been working towards for the past 10 years and frequently during this time, I would refer back to these forums for guidance and motivation. I encourage all vets interested in PA school to look into schools that have received the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) grant to help vets become PAs. These schools value what we bring to the table.

I would like to thank LESH once again for his assistance with my interview prep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Marine Vet Active duty 2003-2007; Civilian Contractor at the Sandboxes of Iraq, Pakistan, and Afghanistan 2007-2010 and Guantanamo Bay Cuba 2010-2011. Used the great ole GI bill to career change from Information Technology to get my Associate and Bachelor in Nursing from 2011-2015. Currently work in the NICU full time and L&D nurse part-time. 

Hoping to get back to the gun club as a PA. Applying this cycle. 

Semper Fi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1995-1999 USMC

2001-2015 Army

2001-2004 MP

2004 WLC (then PLDC) Instructor

2004-2007 Human Resources

2007-2008 OEF as an MP

2008-2009 HR

2009-2013 USAREC

2013-2015 AMEDD Recruiter

2015-Current Civilian Healthcare Recruiter hiring ALL PA/FNP Vets I can

PA's with 2 years ER or UC experience PLEASE send me you CV to jbotto@globalmso.com

Hi.  My name is Sarah. I'm not military, and I'm not a PA, but I work for both at OTSG in Falls Church, VA and I'm researching the future of PAs in the Army, or military, as combat roles change and become more remote.  I'm also finishing a book chapter with my boss for a new book to be published by The Borden Institute titled The Physician Assistant's Handbook.  I'll start a new thread to ask my question about the future.  Thank you all for your service.  I feel blessed every day there are men and women brave enough to serve.