ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

Guest tmarkie
Having been there myself, I took the advice of hundreds of people who pulled the Paul Mason and got out before their time. Never, EVER, met anyone who got out with over 10 and said it was the best move they ever made. With the hindsight calculator, they did the math and they all came up short.

They were all right, 4 years goes by quick! Almost the twinkling of an eye. So, I would stay another 4, make the big bucks for retirement, get your base sticker and free meds, and use your "universal healthcare" as a bargaining chip for salary or wage negotiations.

4 years goes by quick OOH-RAH!

Sorry to disagree MSgt, I got out at 14 - I would be eligible for retirement this year. I still believe it was the right move! I am so much farther along in my career today than if I had stayed in. I not only doubled my salary the minute I left the army, I have not missed another minute of my daughters life! (I missed half of her first 9 yrs). It was the best move I ever made!

T,

I am glad that it worked out for you. It doesn't work out that way for many. I guess I will modify my statement,

"Every one that I know that got out after 10 (except for one!).... blah blah blah.

But seriously, you had training that immediately translated well into cash, and with the right investments, you could outpace retirement in little time. You had your health etc, and these are generally the reasons that most say they wished that they had stayed in.

If I were are fully trained PA-C at 14, I probably would have got out as well banking on good health. I could have worked it like you. Just trying to give the best advice with my experience. Lou

Drew

11M

18D

18Z

A few years in the Aussie army

A few more years in the US army

40 years young and soon to graduate PA school

Just a green soon to be PA

I finally made it GED---Masters

Amy,

I heard you retired. You're a little young for that????? Thanks for all the great direction when you were at the school house. Stu mentioned that you may turn up for his graduation. If not, then drop in at Ft. Sam and we'll go out on the town. Graduation is 19 May.

Good luck in your future out there in the real world.

Drew

Guest ryanahr

I was a combat medic with 10th MTN in somalia and haiti.(Operations Restore Hope and Uphold Democracy.)

I then was a navycorpsman with 4th MARDIV for several years before becoming a PA.

I now work as a PA-C in Neurosurgery and went to school at the U. University of Washington.

I would have gone back in as a PA if not for the fact that it was hard enough being away from kids during PA school let alone in the middle east.

I miss wearing the uniform though. 10th MTN -climb to glory

Ooorah...ahem.

Not a PA yet but I play one on TV. I've gone back & forth with PA or MD or PA or DO or PA or NP or PA or MD or PA or DO or PA or enlist and go BUD/S or PA or enlist and go SpecFor or PA or CRO or PA or STO or PA.

Everytime I thought I made a decision I had someone make a convincing argument. PA's thought I should be a doc. Doc's thought I should be a PA. PA's thought I should be a NP and the list goes one and on. Ultimately it's the best decision I can make. There are more pros than cons and I can begin to practise in 3 years instead of 7. It's been a painful time but I've finally decided that PA is the route for me. Hopefully I can get on a tactical team, work in the ER, and life will be good.

Mad,

I hear ya. I swear that ER is where I'm supposed to be but that's all I know so I am open. I mean I did sickcall but that isn't exactly FM...or is it?

Doc,

When you say "enlist" are you talking about enlisted or officer? If enlisted what happens with the PA? Not very up on the Army way of bitness.

Mad,

I hear ya. I swear that ER is where I'm supposed to be but that's all I know so I am open. I mean I did sickcall but that isn't exactly FM...or is it?

Doc,

When you say "enlist" are you talking about enlisted or officer? If enlisted what happens with the PA? Not very up on the Army way of bitness.

Hey Croooz...

Last I knew...

2 Officers... 10 NCOs = a team (SOFD-A)

This breaks down into:

2- 6 man teams (officer leading each team)

3- 4 man teams

4- 3 man teams

6- 2 man teams

Officers were only allowed on a SFOD-A as detachment (team) commanders (a O-3) and detachment XOs (0-2)...

2 officers per SOFD-A

IIRC... The O couldn't even sign up until they were senior O-2s, after serving in normal RA slots (Squad Leader and Company XO)... then they went off to SFAS.

The reason it would be near impossible as a PA is because...

It would be "tactically unsound" to have a the team's command and control... LEADERSHIP... occupied during "contact." Instead of directing immeadiate action to contact... and counter attack with an extreme "violence of action"... you would be face down tryin clamp off that vessel and secure three sides of that occlusive drsg... NOT GOOD!

Simply put...

Officers lead the A-teams... Medic officers don't!

Why have an officer there to do what 2 of the NCOs (18D) are trained to do...???? So why would they waste the training $$$ on a Medical Officer for a SOFD-A...??? Why add another officer to confuse the command structure... who won't be effective after the first person gets shot...????

This would be a huge waste in resources! Sort of like having a PA on every ambulance.

Many Civilian PAs are "Enlisted" (E-7/8) Reserve SF/Seal medics. Many have declined/resigned their commission to stay operational on the teams. Because the average team time for an officer is ~ 3-4 years before it's off to "admin" land.

Witchdoctor or Dallas could explain it better... since they are from the SF comunity and were on SOFD-As...

Me... I just supported them... and interacted with them regularly.

If you want to be Hooooooyah...

Enlisted is the way to go...icon14.gif

DocNusum

Btw...

Most if not all SF qualified PAs in the Army were enlisted SF soldiers BEFORE going to PA school.

18x is an enlisted contract.

There are ways to become involved with SOF as a commissioned PA, and keep in mind that SF is not the only SOF avenue.

My experience has been the same fashion as N's...outside looking in...

Crooz-sick call is what kind of lead to my position in ortho-was seeing more ortho than anything else while at FTCKY...

18x is an enlisted contract.

There are ways to become involved with SOF as a commissioned PA, and keep in mind that SF is not the only SOF avenue.

My experience has been the same fashion as N's...outside looking in...

Crooz-sick call is what kind of lead to my position in ortho-was seeing more ortho than anything else while at FTCKY...

Thanks Doc. I figured as much.....learned long ago not to assume I know everything about the military....or about anything else.

Mad,

What other avenues are there for PA's? Not sure I understand your last sentence...?

Guest Doc B

Cpt Brandon Barker

E2-E4-03

93-94-Present

92B,91K,15A(Apache Pilot)

Currently IPAP Class 3-06 Start Date Sept 06

Been all over the northern hemisphere to include Fort Leonardwood (Basic Combat Training A/4-10 1993), Fort Sam Houston 92B Course Apr 93-July 93, Walter Reed Army Medical Center Aug 93-Aug 95, ROTC Green to Gold Sept 95-May 99 Virginia State University BS Biology, Fort Rucker Alabama (Army Flight School Aug 99-Mar 01) Germany 2/6 Cav Illesheim, Poland (Operation Victory Strike II Oct 2001) Norway (Norwegian winter survival course Nov 2001), Kuwait and Iraq 2002-2003. Fort Rucker CCC Nov 93-Jun 94, Korea Jun 94-Jul 95. Presently at Fort Rucker awaiting PCS to Fort Sam Houston.

I'm just terribly glad that I found this site and look forward to reading future posts to gleen as much valuable information that I can about what it means to be a practicing PA.

Guest whatmepa

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your service. I did my 3 years in the army and got out. Never had to deploy. Thank god. I had a nice army PA that put me on a permanent profile so I could go to college during the day. It was a good deal.

I want to be a PA but don't want to go to school for too long. I was looking at California. I saw that DOCNUSUM went to Stanford and attended the Primary Care Associate Program before he became a PA. How difficult is the associate program? I heard that the military PA Master's program is too difficult. They have 65% failure rate. Does anyone know of other 2-year associate programs to become a PA? Do you think my GI bill will cover all my school for the associate program? Do they help you pass the exams by giving a good review?

Please help. My parents want me to get a job or go to school. I think being a PA would be a great profession. The cut off is October 1, 2006 to apply to Stanford.

I salute all of you for defending our freedom.