Salary comparisons

For some perspective:

I'm going to gross about $200K this year.   The cost-of-liiving in the city where I live is about 40% of New York City.  According to the Bankrate calculator (http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx?s_kwcid=AL!1325!10!32176728596!300100282063&ef_id=VVXjLQAAAWmgYiDF%3a20160924005205%3as)  to maintain the same quality of living I have here, I would have to make $325,000 a year in New York City (Brooklyn).

Inverting that, if I made $200K a year in Brooklyn, I would only have to make $46K a year here to have the same standard of living.  That is about what the average household income is in my area.

So, I'm making double the money, in a place with only 40% of the COL of NYC.  

I agree that there is no place like NYC.  But if I were to love the traffic, I could afford to go visit for a few weeks every quarter.

Instead we are shopping for about 80 acres of paradise to build our dream home on.  Meanwhile we vacation 4 times a year (Cancun, Lake of the Ozarks, and Maine already this year).

Point taken. Most of us professionals know the quality of life and COL is better outside NYC/LA/BO, but I stated the obvious reasons why someone would choose to live in NYC.

I personally believe that my GF  and I (we're both PAs) are going to move out of NYC some day, likely maybe Tx or somewhere in the south. first we want to save a sizable portion before that, in hope that'll enable us to live comfortably compared to if we were to start from the place we intend on moving into from the get go.

I'm in EM, and work mostly rural which allows me to work long shifts.

City people like cities, and I'm certainly not judging them for that.  But many physicians, who make 3 times what we make, like the cities as well.  This means cities have plenty of physician coverage, and drives down the pay for PAs.

Get out to the country, especially where there is a demand for providers, and you can make a lot more.

I don't understand your last paragraph at all though...you're going to keep making okay money in an INCREDIBLY high COL area so that you can save money?  Doesn't make sense to me my friend.  You and your GF could move to a rural area, easily make $300K between the two of you, and THEN be able to save money like mad.

In the city I live in you can rent a nice 2-bedroom apartment for $850/month - gated security, pool, etc.  A decent house is $100K.  Nice houses are $250K.  Mansions are $350K. 

We just missed out buying a sweet 4 bed/2 ba brick ranch, 2200 sq ft, on 76 acres with about half dense woods and half grassland, with two spring fed creeks on it for $310K about an hour outside of the city. 

I'm in EM, and work mostly rural which allows me to work long shifts.

City people like cities, and I'm certainly not judging them for that.  But many physicians, who make 3 times what we make, like the cities as well.  This means cities have plenty of physician coverage, and drives down the pay for PAs.

Get out to the country, especially where there is a demand for providers, and you can make a lot more.

I don't understand your last paragraph at all though...you're going to keep making okay money in an INCREDIBLY high COL area so that you can save money?  Doesn't make sense to me my friend.  You and your GF could move to a rural area, easily make $300K between the two of you, and THEN be able to save money like mad.

In the city I live in you can rent a nice 2-bedroom apartment for $850/month - gated security, pool, etc.  A decent house is $100K.  Nice houses are $250K.  Mansions are $350K. 

We just missed out buying a sweet 4 bed/2 ba brick ranch, 2200 sq ft, on 76 acres with about half dense woods and half grassland, with two spring fed creeks on it for $310K about an hour outside of the city. 

Sounds like where we live. 4 bed/3 bath brick, 2700 sq ft on 3 acres that is surrounded by about 500+ acres (neighbor has about 100 head of cattle) and we paid $145,000. We are ~35 mins from a big city. We also have 1 spring fed creek that we partially own. Rural areas are great and the pay is great. 

I started out as a new grad in OB GYN in AZ at 36$ per hour which I thought was low but I was a new grad so I took it. A year later in CA I made 45$ per hour in pain management. I worked retail medicine in a grocery store in AZ. Super easy and great money 52$-56$ per hour (shift diff for weekends). Now in urgent care in AZ I'm at 59$ per hour plus good quarterly bonuses. If we pick up a shift its extra pay plus OT. I also work OB now as well at 50$ per hour.

NYC you need to start demanding more money!!!! We need to know our worth and not be afraid to ask for it. It's hard to not know what a good salary is. I hope this feed helps for people to realize we're worth more money!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Archived