wearing engagement/wedding ring to work

• 1 year later...

OP, first of all, congratulations on your engagement, and may you have many happy years together!

Not a PA (yet), but I spent several years with gloves and my engagement and wedding rings in healthcare. Although I've never torn a glove with my rings, they did sometimes get in the way. And I have had the same issues as a previous poster and had dermatitis under them from all the handwashing and constant gloving. Hospital-grade scrub is some pretty nasty stuff and will do a number on your skin, and, for me, it's even worse under my rings.

Personally, I now leave my rings at home. My engagement ring is a solitaire, and my wedding band is channel-set diamonds. Gunk gets in them even when I'm cooking at home, so I don't want to think about what could reside in them in the hospital. I also keep my fingernails short for the same reason. The rings are insured, but my decision is less about losing a diamond than it is about infection control. I'm not the only one in our family - my husband is in the military, so he hasn't worn his actual wedding band in ages. Pushups on asphalt do not agree with gold bands. So he now wears a stainless steel band or no ring at all, depending on what he's doing.

I understand wanting to wear your ring; it is gorgeous, by the way. But, for so many reasons (infection control, safety, comfort, etc.), I'd advise you to wear it only on your off hours. Just my two cents...

• 3 years later...

I stopped wearing my wedding ring to work. To much on and off with hand washing, surgery, etc.  I also lost it one day while in surgery, had it tied in the draw strings of the scrub pants and forgot about it in a hurry one day while changing.  Got home and realized it was gone.  Luckily, I found it on the floor in the locker room.  That was when I just gave up wearing it at work.

My fiancé and I had a wonderful experience engagement ring shopping with Kush Diamonds and the staff. My fiancé visited Kush Diamonds http://www.kushdiamonds.com.au a few times before actually purchasing a ring, and he said they remembered and welcomed him every time and he never felt they were pushy. I am extremely picky (especially when it came to a piece of jewelry I will be wearing for the rest of my life!) I get so many compliments on how beautiful it is! I love my ring and highly recommend Kush Diamonds !! [/size]

Well, that just plain reads like spam.

Almost a 4-year-old thread. One comment ever from this user. Only tangentially related to the topic being discussed. Classic "I made $2000 working from home last month, posting on the Internet!" stuff.

Oh, and I did end up getting that wedding ring tattoo, by the way. It's pretty great. No regrets.

Archived