wearing engagement/wedding ring to work

I am a physician assistant student in my first year and my boyfriend recently proposed to me! :] He didn't have a ring when he proposed because he couldn't find a jeweler to do what he wanted in time, but that's not the point to me posting lol. We went ring shopping the other day and I casually mentioned that I will be in the healthcare field - wearing gloves and washing my hands a lot - and the salesperson told me that I wouldn't be able to wear my engagement ring to work and if I wore a wedding band it should be a plain gold band. I guess I hadn't thought about that before so I wanted to get some advice from all of you in the field. I am pretty set on going into pediatrics.. not sure if that makes a difference. So any of you female married PAs have advice on the topic? I guess I'm just trying to see how fancy of a ring I can get away with... my ideal engagement ring and wedding band would both have prong-set diamonds on the band - like this one: post-38389-137934850979_thumb.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Laura :]

Get your ideal ring to wear in your day to day life. Then get the cheapest band you can find to wear while you are working clinically. When I say cheap, I mean it - my wife wears a $5 band I bought her at a religious gift store.

Lots of people like to do goofy things like safety pin their ring to their scrubs when they work. It might take a day, a month or ten years, but sooner or later you will lose it...

My wife is a PT. Has a cheap chip of a diamond in a gold band as her daily wearer ring. Then recently she started wearing her nice ring. Has to clean it pretty often but is wearing it. Gotta imagine that outpatient peds is similar But leave the flashy rock at home. No one needs to feel inferior because of a ring

I think the ring bling is less to do with making someone feel inferior (depends on your practice setting though) and more to do with practicality and avoiding damage.

Husband #1, had a carved band and a 2-carat prong set rock (family ring). I did wear it most of the time but it poked holes through gloves (often!) and trapped water under the heavy band so I constantly had a dermatitis there.

Gave it back in the divorce. He had it reset into a pendant for wife #2. Grandma is STILL bitter about that because 1) she gave it to me and 2) she loves me better. ;)

Now I have a simple carved band. Elegant, smooth, and very practical. No sparkles but that's ok. The husband is better.

My engagement ring basically the same ring you posted. I work in clinical research (just accepted to PA school) but wear gloves and wash my hands often. My husband and I have just decided to get me a new ring to wear once I start rotations and clinical practice because 1- the ring rips holes in gloves which isn't a huge deal now (I rarely deal with blood etc.) but will be and 2- The setting is probably best for someone not knocking their jewelry around as much as I do. In the 4 years I have worn the rings (my wedding band is the same as the engagement band) I have knocked 3 of the band diamonds out. After a lot of trying to make these rings work we have just decided that it would be easier to get something else. My advice would be to get something channel set or with smoother sides and/or get a plain band to wear to work and something with more bling for the rest of time. Congrats and good luck!

If folks "feel inferior" thats their problem.... NOT YOURS...!!!!

Simply because if you start denying yourself things because how it "may" make others feel... you will have NOTHING...!!! Thing is... folks "may"... "feel inferior" based upon ANYTHING you have (Job, Car, motorbike, Husband, Education, children, Suits, ties, shoes, watches, earrings, a stable relationship, etc).

The issue with the ring is as Lisa stated one of "practicality"...

Get a nice "daily wear" ring for work and save that really nice one for your days off.

I will probably get booed on this but here goes. Maybe don't wear it at work. Leave it in the purse or at home. No losing it and no dermatitis. Ok I will duck now!! :;;D:

PS I do wear my wedding band and have had no issues. If I did, I would leave it off at work. Tom

As an RN, I've done quite a bit of surgical scrubbing so I stopped wearing a wedding ring (or any ring/watch/bracelet) at work altogether. It became a pain to keep taking it off and putting it on. I also didn't like the idea that I could be carrying all kinds of nasty germs around w/me from the hospital. I plan not to wear one as a PA either. However, many of the other nurses and our docs will wear their ring on a necklace if there is a chance of contamination.

Engagement ring is a family heirloom - will not be going to clinicals or into work with me. I deliberately chose a plain band for the wedding ring because while I was engaged and working in the hospital, I watched the staff around me constantly fussing with their rings and did not want the hassle. Not to mention the bacteria trap and popped gloves and all the rest.

Plus... there's something kind of nice, I think, about just wearing a band. Not everything about married life is flashy and exciting. Thank God.

I have an engagement ring much like the ring you want (1 diamond with prongs). I simply didn't have the wedding band attached to it when we got married, so depending on what is scheduled for the day, I wear the band or both. When I have a lot of surgery stuff, I definitely don't wear the engagement ring and just wear the band. But if I'm in clinic, I wear both. Definitely get the ring you want, but have the choice of wearing your band or your engagement ring once you get married. Until then, you might just have to not wear anything for the surgery stuff and wear the engagement ring when you have clinic, etc.

Thank you all for the advice! As some of you said, I was really not concerned with the inferiority factor (that had never really crossed my mind), it was more about the practicality. I am fine with not wearing the engagement ring at work because I am a little afraid of the popped gloves but I haven't decided about the wedding band, although I guess I have some time to think about it. Right now I'm leaning towards doing what most people suggested and getting the one that I really want to wear on my days off, and just getting a cheap, plain band for work. I would really love to wear the band that matches the engagement ring, but I was told I'd have problems with the diamonds because they are set in prongs and not channel-set (as vforth also experienced). Anyway, thank you everyone and if anyone else has advice to share, please do. :]

Congrats and enjoy your ring!

My two cents worth of experience....I have worked in a microbiology lab for years and have always worn my wedding and engagement ring (separate small band and engagement ring with 3 large stones). ALWAYS wore gloves, frequent on/off gloves and frequent hand washing. And I never had a problem with any of it.

It is comforting to have insurance on your jewelry--it is inexpensive. I am very careful with my rings and never take them off and leave them places and have them cleaned regularly--but have had none of the above mentioned problems.

Enjoy your engagement and marriage!

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like you never managed a surgical infection--here in the Bronx ( i wrote he computer program for the TB lab to monior drug resistance in HIV TB patients) you would double glove and frequent hand washing may make things worse--as you know you get microcuts from frequent hand sanitizers and washing.

anything special about your nails or hair?

hth

peter lener pa

sounds like you never managed a surgical infection--here in the Bronx ( i wrote he computer program for the TB lab to monior drug resistance in HIV TB patients) you would double glove and frequent hand washing may make things worse--as you know you get microcuts from frequent hand sanitizers and washing.

anything special about your nails or hair?

hth

peter lener pa

forgot to say this

only saying this after years of psych--there seems to be here something about rings and marriage and importance--im not sure what it is--its like people saying I wanted to get married on the deck of the Titanic but we got married at the truck stop instead ( I know someone who did) --most marriages in America last 3 years--9 out of 10 are he female divorcing the male very very rare for men to divorce women--women divorce men when you look at the reasons is that they don't like male behavior. --I never looked into eh reasons why men divorce women.

i think this ring thing is more complicated then it seems

i took mine off after 3 days of marriage and have been married for almost 50 years.

I would never have worn it in any clinic or hospital

incidentally spent a few years of my retirement with a master jeweler ( wedding ring 27,000 dollars of more) here in diamond district NYC.

hth

peter lener pa

forgot to say this

only saying this after years of psych--there seems to be here something about rings and marriage and importance--im not sure what it is--its like people saying I wanted to get married on the deck of the Titanic but we got married at the truck stop instead ( I know someone who did) --most marriages in America last 3 years--9 out of 10 are he female divorcing the male very very rare for men to divorce women--women divorce men when you look at the reasons is that they don't like male behavior. --I never looked into eh reasons why men divorce women.

i think this ring thing is more complicated then it seems

i took mine off after 3 days of marriage and have been married for almost 50 years.

I would never have worn it in any clinic or hospital

incidentally spent a few years of my retirement with a master jeweler ( wedding ring 27,000 dollars of more) here in diamond district NYC.

hth

peter lener pa

I have a custom Damascus steel band. In theory, it could be autoclaved. While I was on my surgical rotation, it was on a chain around my neck. Anyone in surgery (or, I guess, a Derm office or primary care office where sterile procedures are part of the routine) really shouldn't be wearing any jewelry.

If your ring would poke up into or be capable of tearing gloves, then lose the ring, because your other choice is to skip the gloves, and that's just dumb.

Have you considered a tattoo on your ring finger? If I worked surgery, that's what I would do.

(And yes I'm a guy, so it's a plain band and not a rock, but the principle is the same)

I have a custom Damascus steel band. In theory, it could be autoclaved. While I was on my surgical rotation, it was on a chain around my neck. Anyone in surgery (or, I guess, a Derm office or primary care office where sterile procedures are part of the routine) really shouldn't be wearing any jewelry.

If your ring would poke up into or be capable of tearing gloves, then lose the ring, because your other choice is to skip the gloves, and that's just dumb.

Have you considered a tattoo on your ring finger? If I worked surgery, that's what I would do.

(And yes I'm a guy, so it's a plain band and not a rock, but the principle is the same)

Interesting discussion.

Even though I mainly work in an Urgent care type setting and perform an average of 2 significant procedures/week (complex I&Ds, auricular hematoma aspirations and compression suturing, etc.) plus the typical bumps/lumps procs in FM, I stopped wearing my wedding ring to work.

Two reasons:

1. MRSA is rampant here on this Pacific island I am on, I mean EVERYWHERE!

2. Fear of taking it on and off and eventually losing it!

Now in the surgical arena it's simple, no jewlery! The infection control types cringe at this topic...lol.

GL in the marriage though.

Interesting discussion.

Even though I mainly work in an Urgent care type setting and perform an average of 2 significant procedures/week (complex I&Ds, auricular hematoma aspirations and compression suturing, etc.) plus the typical bumps/lumps procs in FM, I stopped wearing my wedding ring to work.

Two reasons:

1. MRSA is rampant here on this Pacific island I am on, I mean EVERYWHERE!

2. Fear of taking it on and off and eventually losing it!

Now in the surgical arena it's simple, no jewlery! The infection control types cringe at this topic...lol.

GL in the marriage though.

Archived