Waitlist Support Group

I got waitlisted at my first two interviews. One broke down my entire application and told me the waitlist designation was due to having niche experience that was too specialized (I work in PM&R). I'll have my fifth interview next Friday, and sixth on November 16th so hopefully I can lock one of these down. I hear back from my #1 choice mid-to-late November.

Guest thatgirlonabike

How do you feel about going to a school that waitlisted you?  I feel like if I wasn't good enough that they wanted me the first go around why would I go because they needed a warm body to fill a seat?  I feel like it would be soul-crushing to go to class every day knowing you were only second string.  Logically, I know I shouldn't think this way and that just getting an interview is a honor.   Please talk me off the ledge (figuratively, not literally -- I love my job so it won't bother me to stay for another year.)

1 hour ago, thatgirlonabike said:

How do you feel about going to a school that waitlisted you?  I feel like if I wasn't good enough that they wanted me the first go around why would I go because they needed a warm body to fill a seat?  I feel like it would be soul-crushing to go to class every day knowing you were only second string.  Logically, I know I shouldn't think this way and that just getting an interview is a honor.   Please talk me off the ledge (figuratively, not literally -- I love my job so it won't bother me to stay for another year.)

Don't think of it like that. You were waitlisted, meaning the committee could see you in the class, but there were others who were either more qualified or interviewed better. I am waitlisted to my top choice, and I 125% would accept a seat if given the chance. My GPA and GRE is lower than their average, but I have more PCE. The way I see it, there are plenty of applicants who are more qualified than myself. But I take pride in knowing that someone on the committee saw something in me and which was enough to possibly attend their program. Unfortunately, PA programs are limited in size (I've seen as few as 25 to 100), and they can't accept everybody, even highly competitive applicants.

Think of it like this: the program you applied to likely had 750+ applicants. Probably 10-20% received an interview. You already beat out 80-90% of the applicants. You're not "second choice" here. You're obviously qualified for their program, but in reality, there were people who were just "a little bit more" qualified. Don't feel bad, feel proud that you made it this far!

I've been waitlisted at the last 4 places I've interviewed and rejected at 2 before that. I'm so emotionally drained by the uncertainty. I interviewed well, but not well enough, and the schools don't give out any clue as to ranking/place on the waitlist so I could either be number 5 or 50, I don't know. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Sciencer said:

Extremely discouraged at this point. 5 interview invites total so far. 2 waitlists to my top choices. Waiting to hear back from 1. 2 interviews to go. This is my 3rd cycle and I’m qualified and competitive. I have low hopes about getting in off waitlist. Also, what if I get waitlisted to all 5 schools? What an agonizing process. 

I feel you, I'm currently waitlisted at 5 programs. Sometimes I think it would have been better to be outright rejected and then move on with my life. The worst is knowing that you're qualified but not being able to get that acceptance. Keep hanging in there I guess.

6 hours ago, stromfl said:

I feel you, I'm currently waitlisted at 5 programs. Sometimes I think it would have been better to be outright rejected and then move on with my life. The worst is knowing that you're qualified but not being able to get that acceptance. Keep hanging in there I guess.

I'm in the same boat. I'm currently waitlisted at 2 and continued consideration at 1. Its incredibly frustrating but I just ln keep reminding myself that it's better than a rejection.

1 hour ago, johncfl said:

Would some of you who were waitlisted mind sharing your stats? Thank you

Overall GPA- 3.5 (masters and undergrad)

Undergrad GPA- 3.38

Science GPA- 3.25

Healthcare/patient care hours- about 8000 as a therapist

Schools applied this cycle: 5 Interviews: 3 waitlist/continued consideration:3

Times applied: 3 but first year I only applied to 1 school. 

Last year schools applied: 7  Interviewed:3 Waitlist:2

On 10/29/2018 at 10:33 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

Alternatively, as someone who was waitlisted, it was vindicating to show up and kick a**.  At the end of the day, you get to be a PA.  Jokes on them.  Remember your end goal.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

Lol exactly like everyone is saying, being waitlisted is far better than being rejected or not getting an interview at all. You’re still within the top 5 to 10 percent of all applicants in that schools eyes, they just don’t have enough room to admit everyone that they like. If you were second string, you would be rejected. PA schools get hundreds to thousands of applications each year for well under 100 spots, so I really don’t think they would allow anyone who they considered second string to enter their program. They don’t have to accept the projected number that they advertise on their site. They’re going to let those individuals in that they feel will legitimately represent their program the best and who fit the personality of the program. So if you were waitlisted, they obviously feel that you would be a great fit, but they just don’t have enough seats at the moment....and that may have been due to when you applied or interviewed, and not necessarily because of anything about you. If you’re offered a seat off the waitlist I’d definitely take it if I were you, and honestly wouldn’t think twice about it later. 

Archived