Waitlist Support Group

Keep your spirits up. I was deferred/waitlisted for at least a month following my interview. It is a tough position to be in. But I ended up being accepted. My best advice would be, be proud. Its like being the second string quarterback on a major college football team. No one works to be second string. But you obviously proved you were a well above average applicant (average acceptance rate is 10% for most programs.) Be proud of that. And like the second string quarterback, if you keep preparing, your time will come, if not this year, in a year or two. Keep up the good work!

My best friend in PA school was on the wait list and had decided to start the police academy in a neighboring state the next day. That afternoon, he got a call from our program offering him a seat. He drove all day and night to get there, showing up halfway through our first day of orientation. 

Life works in mysterious ways. Best wishes to all of you.

I was on the waitlist for one of the programs that was high on my list. I definitely felt pretty down about it at first, but then I interviewed this past week at my first choice program which is in my hometown and was accepted the next day! I guess everything happens for a reason. Good luck to everyone!

I've been waitlisted to my top program without having heard back from anywhere else, so I'm very discouraged right now. Are you all just updating the program/s periodically about your continued hours and interest?

I'm just trying to hold onto hope while treating my waitlists like rejections. I've heard mixed things about sending updates. I usually send a thank-you note following my waitlist letter, but Ive heard people who like to believe update letters helped them get off the waitlist but I've also seen people say they got off waitlists at all the schools they didn't send any updates to and rejected from schools they'd follow up on. I guess it's up to your discretion then!

• 1 month later...

Applied to around 10 schools and got 4 interview offers so far. Waitlisted at two and have 2 more interviews coming up in the next few weeks. 

I know I should be honored that I have interviews at all since it's my first time applying but being waitlisted from my top 2 schools has gotten me really discouraged, especially since I felt like I've put my best foot forward.. It's hard to see waitlist has being a good thing when it just seems like a pending rejection.

If anyone has any words of encouragement, I would really appreciate it. 

I'm just trying to hold onto hope while treating my waitlists like rejections. I've heard mixed things about sending updates. I usually send a thank-you note following my waitlist letter, but Ive heard people who like to believe update letters helped them get off the waitlist but I've also seen people say they got off waitlists at all the schools they didn't send any updates to and rejected from schools they'd follow up on. I guess it's up to your discretion then!

I was waitlisted at the first school I interviewed at and asked them about sending updates. They replied saying that once you're placed on the waitlist, they don't go back to review your application. They said it was pretty much a waiting game. I don't see any harm in asking if they would accept any updates! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! Don't lose hope! You've made it this far!

• 2 weeks later...

7 II. Interviewed at 2 so far and waitlisted on both. If I manage to get waitlisted at all 7, will I make the Guinness World Record? 

newton9686 - great analogy! 

I'm with you! 8 invitations so far, only heard back from two (waitlist) and still have 3 interviews to go. I imagine I would hold that world record over you though if I get waitlisted at all of them =/.

So happy that someone started this thread, I was waitlisted for one program last year obviously without any movement off of the waitlist so it's always helpful to get some encouragement

• 2 weeks later...

I am in very similar boat! I interviewed at 3 schools and was waitlisted at 2. I have not heard from the 3rd and the first 2 waitlisted said they were not ranked yet :( I am feeling really discouraged. This is my first time applying and I had no idea what an emotional process this would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So glad I found this support group. I was waitlisted and understand I should get an update in February. I am trying to keep positive and fight off any feelings of disappointment. It has helped reading some of the inspiring stories on this forum. For anyone who has experience with being waitlisted, I was curious how the process worked... Do all schools ranks their waitlist? How large are the waitlist? Just curious about stuff like that and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Heidi

• 9 months later...

Archived