Class of 2019 Hopefuls

I also filled out the CASPA PA application and didn't get an email. How did you know you had to fill out the other application?

No other application I filled it out in error. Thinking I had to do one for the pa program and the school. But after talking to the school it's only one application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone concerned about the cost of the program?  I absolutely want to go and think it is silly to wait another year for fear that I won't get in, but it just seems like so much money... Thoughts?

Yes, University of Detroit Mercy is very expensive program because it is a private college. I personally plan to go to a program that isn't costly since loans add up. I wish you best of luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone concerned about the cost of the program?  I absolutely want to go and think it is silly to wait another year for fear that I won't get in, but it just seems like so much money... Thoughts?

The cost is manageable. Compared to others in the country, it's actually not even the most expensive. It's about $20K more than average but I firmly believe you get what you pay for. Our program really cares about its student's success, which is something that is crucial to survive as a full-time student. You'll be making a good salary when you get out, and we have an average of 4 job offers before graduation from clinicals. PA is booming - if you're smart about repayment, the tuition is not as big a factor as PANCE pass rates and retention of staff, etc. We're growing, too, just got an all-new addition to the health professions building with all new labs and equipment.

Hi! Mercy is actually my #1 choice! I'm applying in 2018, so do you have any advice that could help me stand out? I have a 3.75 GPA, A's in 4/6 prereqs (still didn't take two of them), and I'm beginning a scribe position in one month! I have also been patient modeling. I noticed many students getting rejected who seemed like great candidates. If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats? What is it about you that made them want to accept you? I really want to attend Mercy.

Your GPA is great! Have you done any volunteering? You don't need to volunteer doing something medical - I walked dogs at a shelter! They want to see you give back to the community. Scribing is a great way to gain experience and you can absolutely get in with close to the minimum (1000) at your GPA, but you should shoot for more than that. A year full-time will put you about 2000, so if you apply 2018, you can probably get away with that!

My stats were very similar to yours, 3.76 GPA, 1040 PCE as a CNA in subacute rehab. I also had ~80 hours shadowing, ~300 hours volunteering. GRE 315 combined, 4.5 writing. (Above 300 is considered "competitive", and for a lot of programs, they don't actually care about the score - it's part of research to see if it correlates to success in grad school which spoiler alert, it doesn't!). Personal statement and LORs can make or break  your application.

We did a "Medtakeover" on Snapchat, our faculty answered a lot of questions about admissions. This might help some - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s52zkNlK2yA

• 1 month later...

Your GPA is great! Have you done any volunteering? You don't need to volunteer doing something medical - I walked dogs at a shelter! They want to see you give back to the community. Scribing is a great way to gain experience and you can absolutely get in with close to the minimum (1000) at your GPA, but you should shoot for more than that. A year full-time will put you about 2000, so if you apply 2018, you can probably get away with that!

My stats were very similar to yours, 3.76 GPA, 1040 PCE as a CNA in subacute rehab. I also had ~80 hours shadowing, ~300 hours volunteering. GRE 315 combined, 4.5 writing. (Above 300 is considered "competitive", and for a lot of programs, they don't actually care about the score - it's part of research to see if it correlates to success in grad school which spoiler alert, it doesn't!). Personal statement and LORs can make or break  your application.

We did a "Medtakeover" on Snapchat, our faculty answered a lot of questions about admissions. This might help some - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s52zkNlK2yA

I saw your med takeover! Great job! I volunteer with the program periodically. Didn't get in last year... but hopefully, this year is better for me! Good luck with the rest of your program! :) 

Archived