House-call PA work...anything I should watch out for medico-legally?

A doc I know is recruiting PAs for a house-call sort of practice.  The doc is someone respected and a good guy, and I don't consider anything nefarious.  Just wondering, are there any pitfalls/things I have to watch out for in terms of joining this sort of service, in terms of medical, legal, things to watch out for in terms of my license? Anyone else out there every do this sort of work? Thanks all...

I had my own house call practice

can be very rewarding

pitfalls - MUST be billed under your PIN

Doc must sign all VNA and hospice orders 

VNA and Hospice might require some education on how to get orders for your patients - you give them, as the agent for the Doc, but the doc signs them

MUST do a trip fee of $40-100 per trip - this is the way you make ends meet - and I got very little (basically none) push back - this is waived for patients in an assisted living facility

MUST bill for chronic care coordination, Annual wellness and care plan oversight - these add up to a nice little chunk of change

The hardest part is scheduling your day - travel time sucks and is totally unreimbursed (hence trip fee) and clustering all the patients together on a give day is important

DON'T open with too big a geographic area - it is heck to try to shrink it and the travel time kills you

You lifeline is the local assisted living places - getting into 1-2 of those and you are golden....

@Gordon, yes, medicare based

@ventana, I think they will have a billing person, with that person know to do this (perhaps there wont be a billing person)? Also, they said even if I go to the house, and send the patient to the hospital, we still bill for a base level visit....is that what you mean by trip fee?

Thanks

@Gordon, yes, medicare based

@ventana, I think they will have a billing person, with that person know to do this (perhaps there wont be a billing person)? Also, they said even if I go to the house, and send the patient to the hospital, we still bill for a base level visit....is that what you mean by trip fee?

Thanks

a billing person will just submit the bill - you need to code it - and therefor you need to know what you can bill

if you see the patient - you need to bill -even if send to ER

Trip fee is the fee they have to pay just to get you there - medicare has said it is okay - non covered so Have to get and ABN

They MUST pay this at time of visit.... otherwise they will screw you out of it almost 100%of time..

I never had an MA with me

I would not do breast or pelvic exams - and Geri homebound patients rarely need these

I have only heard of two providers EVER getting sued

1) for not going on a house call when they should have

2) for gross sexual misconduct

JOIN AAHCM!!!!!  

Archived