Hi everyone, I am new to the forums.

I am a PA with 1 year of experience. I just got an offer in a family practice in the North Texas area. After talking with the providers there, the supervising doctor seems to be very patient with the PAs and willing to teach. I feel this is a good place to grow. I was wondering if this is a fair offer. I feel the pay is a little low and benefits seem a little on the low side too.

Salary: 90k annually, work 8-5 and 4 hours on a weekend every month. Assuming 8 hour work days and 4 every month, $42.29/hr.

Bonus: Very vague bonus. At discretion.

Call schedule: 1 night per week and 1weekend per 5.5  week.

Vacation: 15 days pto, Most major holidays off.

Health insurance100% paid for health insurance after 90 days. Does not state dental or vision.

CME: $1000 + subscription to a review course.
Dues, licenses and professional membership $1000 per year every 6 months.

Performance eval at 6 months then annually,

Malpractice paid, tail not mentioned.

Parking is not mentioned which could be costly considering the parking garage is the only option.

In summary

Location could be closer to home but not a deal breaker by any means.

Specialty is good. Supervising physician is good.

Pay is lower than expected.

I would appreciate any feedback. I think this place is a good fit, but I also would like to be compensated fairly.

Thank you for all the feedback!

My responses to the questions:

Call is just answering service. I do not see patients in ER or hospital.

I do have time set aside to chart and review labs as part of my work schedule.

This is salary and is not hourly. I calculated the hourly rate.

Being that Texas does not have income tax, which lowers the cost of living in comparison to other areas, I don't think the salary is that low, but you probably know better actually being there (sometimes the AAPA salary report isn't perfect).

As for benefits, I would want to know more about the bonus.  Is it something that is guaranteed like a bonus based off collections or RVUs, or is it purely at the discretion of the supervising physician/clinic?  I would personally try for more PTO as well, and is there any PTO defined for CME?

Are you paid for taking call or is that included in the salary?  What are you covering with call (an ED/UC, your patients, etc.)?  How busy is call and what night do you cover (Friday nights would be annoying)?  Is there extra compensation if you take a call or have to go in?  

Is the 8-5 schedule full of patients, or is there time built in for charting/calling patients/reviewing labs/etc.?  How many patients seen per day on average?

What about retirement?

Overall, seems like a decent offer, but I would need some questions answered.

No income tax is not an excuse for lower pay. How does that even make sense? Texas more than makes up for it with our completely ridiculous property taxes anyway. 

Overall--

way too low of base pay. Is this actually paid as salary or paid hourly? 

pay for call

parking included (you should NEVER pay to show up to work)

not enough PTO

bonus needs to be defined

closed for MOST holidays? what does that even mean? and how are you compensated for working the ones that they are not closed?

is there time for charting in that 8-5 schedule? or will you be there late and expected to chart without pay?

Can't really comment on property taxes as I don't live in Texas, but generally low income tax (or lack thereof) means lower cost of living (but obviously not always).  A lower cost of living usually means lower salary in comparison to a high cost of living place.

Example: I am currently looking for a job and have two good leads, one in Tennessee and one in Chicagoland.  The Chicagoland job pays around $15-20k more, but when you correct for taxes (income and property) and other extra expenses the pay is about the same.

loliz: I'm curious what you believe the base pay should be, as I have been lead to believe that $90k base salary is pretty good (assuming you're not working ridiculous hours)?

Can't really comment on property taxes as I don't live in Texas, but generally low income tax (or lack thereof) means lower cost of living (but obviously not always).  A lower cost of living usually means lower salary in comparison to a high cost of living place.

Example: I am currently looking for a job and have two good leads, one in Tennessee and one in Chicagoland.  The Chicagoland job pays around $15-20k more, but when you correct for taxes (income and property) and other extra expenses the pay is about the same.

loliz: I'm curious what you believe the base pay should be, as I have been lead to believe that $90k base salary is pretty good (assuming you're not working ridiculous hours)?

I'm sure $90K is fine in some parts of North Texas, but only if it's a 40 hr work week, without added call or added weekend shifts, and a decent amount of PTO...this job is not that. If this is actually "base pay" then there should be additional compensation for extra hours, extra shifts, working holidays, call time etc.