Time off from PA job for Reserve/NG obligations?

As the title suggests, I am wondering how your civilian PA job handles Reserve or National Guard obligations (ie. the "one weekend per month, two weeks per year")? Have you found your PA job to be accommodating of your service requirements, or would an employer go as far as to make you use PTO if you have to go away for training?

Any info is appreciated, but info regarding this situation and civilian EM employment is especially appreciated.

That's actually illegal. They have to give you time off, but don't have to pay you. They can't fire you or not hire you for serving either. I'm sure there are ways around that, but technically illegal. I'm sure the more concerning issue for an employer is the possible 6-12 month deployment that could take you away. If you are deployed, they have to give you your position back. Side note, the VA will continue to pay you during your time off for drill and annual 2 week training. Not sure if they continue to pay if you are called up for deployment.

I'm considering going AD to reserves and would appreciate anybody willing to share experiences in the reserves. Actually thinking of staying in the reserves while I do a residency since the pay cut is so large and I have a family to support.

That's actually illegal. They have to give you time off, but don't have to pay you. They can't fire you or not hire you for serving either. I'm sure there are ways around that, but technically illegal. I'm sure the more concerning issue for an employer is the possible 6-12 month deployment that could take you away. If you are deployed, they have to give you your position back. Side note, the VA will continue to pay you during your time off for drill and annual 2 week training. Not sure if they continue to pay if you are called up for deployment.

I'm considering going AD to reserves and would appreciate anybody willing to share experiences in the reserves. Actually thinking of staying in the reserves while I do a residency since the pay cut is so large and I have a family to support.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

As the title suggests, I am wondering how your civilian PA job handles Reserve or National Guard obligations (ie. the "one weekend per month, two weeks per year")? Have you found your PA job to be accommodating of your service requirements, or would an employer go as far as to make you use PTO if you have to go away for training?

Any info is appreciated, but info regarding this situation and civilian EM employment is especially appreciated.

In your contract, ask for a make up in difference of salary for annual training and deployments. I average 12 shifts/month and during month of annual training have requirement to work 6 shifts. I have no specific benefits for drill weekends, usually scheduler won't put my on the day before drill.

Archived