Any FMF corpsman?

Not sure if this is a long shot but...

I was just wondering if there are any FMF corpsman out there who would be willing to have an email conversation with me about the job and lifestyle. Or anyone from blue side who can shed some light on their day-to-day activities, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Not sure if this is a long shot but...

I was just wondering if there are any FMF corpsman out there who would be willing to have an email conversation with me about the job and lifestyle. Or anyone from blue side who can shed some light on their day-to-day activities, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

PM me brother, I'm a first year student and maybe can help you from that perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Since you're posting in the Professional PA section, are you asking prior FMF corpsman for a job description of PA or the day in the life of a corpsman?

FYI, I'm a blue side PA that's serving as an augmentee with the marines.

Former FMF Corpsman here. Was stationed in Okinawa, Arizona, and deployed to Afghanistan while I was in.

Best experience of my life, and a tremendous advantage when applying to PA school!

Also, clarify what the hell you are asking.... :)

I apologize for the ambiguity of my post, I was trying to post on my break from work and was a little rushed. 

To clarify: I am wondering how life is as a corpsman, how you spent your time as a corpsman (what type of things you saw each day), and how you transitioned to becoming a PA and anything about that process. Also, I was wondering if you chose to be a PA in the Navy or rather civilian life PA.

Also was wondering how well prepared you felt for PA school coming from being a corpsman.

Thank you guys!

I apologize for the ambiguity of my post, I was trying to post on my break from work and was a little rushed. 

To clarify: I am wondering how life is as a corpsman, how you spent your time as a corpsman (what type of things you saw each day), and how you transitioned to becoming a PA and anything about that process. Also, I was wondering if you chose to be a PA in the Navy or rather civilian life PA.

Also was wondering how well prepared you felt for PA school coming from being a corpsman.

Thank you guys!

Not FMF, but an 8404 Corpsman here who works at a branch clinic. The "Corpsman experience" can definitely vary, but from I have seen it mostly depends on your motivation and how much you really want to do. Some Corpsmen work on a ward and function basically as a CNA and do all of the nurses work. Some Corpsmen work in family med and basically just take vital signs. Some Corpsmen will spend their entire time out in the field and do hardly any patient care. Others will run sick call by themselves, and, after earning the trust of their docs/PAs/IDCs will see their patient from getting vital signs all the way to discharge, and sometimes the attending provider won't even know what the patient looks like (these are only the very skilled, highly motivated Corpsman). I have been lucky enough to have a doc and a couple PAs who trust me, and allow me to basically any procedure we can perform in a branch clinic by myself. Today I performed 3 I&Ds and a toenail removal with almost no supervision...I did all of the documentation, ordered their labs and even their meds. I'm not sure if their is a better experience as far as patient care goes for our given "education". I'm sure the others will chime in on their experiences, but I'm not sure if anything will beat it.

That being said, it is a minimum 5 year experience, and it varies so much it is hard to say what exactly your experience will be like.

Also, full disclosure here, I have not applied to PA school, but I feel pretty prepared.

^^^ Agree. It varies. It depends. 

I was an 8404 right out of the gate, and went to Okinawa Japan. I was quickly attached to the 4th Marine Regiment and deployed to Afghanistan on an embedded training team with the Afghan National Army. It was me and 4 other infantry Marines embedded with about 30 Afghan soldiers. It was an intese experience that I will never, ever, forget. In this deployment I was really the only health care provider for my Marines and the Afghan soliders. I had a drug box that was given to me by the previous Corpsman, a BAS, but I was also expected to play other roles than just the Corpsman. I drove the vic, sat in turret during mounted patrols, and was expected to do my part when I needed to because of the unique circumstances. I was shot at, and shot back, and treated countless victims of that crazy war. Funny thing is that I have such a strong desire to return to Afghanistan on my own will one day when it becomes more peaceful (probably wont every happen). It was just that much of an awesome experience to me to be embedded in someone elses culture. 

After this I can back, and was basically forced to teach because of the experience I had received while I was deployed. This was a super fun time in my Naval career because I got to teach some awesome courses. I became a TCCC (tactical combat casualty care) instrucotr, BLS instrucotr, Combat Life Saver instructor; but best of all I got to be an en-route care instructor and teach the new Corpsman how to properly care for our patients in flight on a CH-46 helicopter. As time went on though I began to miss patients, and requested to work in the clinic which is the field I would stay in for the rest of my time in the Navy. 

This is where I decided I wanted to become a PA because it was mainly PAs that allowed me to do so much, and I loved it. I was trusted to do many procedures, including toe nail removals (both military, and civilian), I&Ds, IVs, etc, etc. 

The best thing about the military is the training. I was given so many opporunities to train and learn more it was unreal. One of the best courses was prior to my deployment. I was flown to NC (from Japan), to attend a two week couse (OEMS) where we learned some seriously motivating, and useful medical info, and skills that I used all the time during my deployment. This class was known as the "pig lab" for those of you who may know what I am refering to (its a bit of a secretive program). I also became a CPR instructor, and was given an opporunity to go to SD for ATLS, and PALS even though I didnt require those credentials for my job. Really, the training was amazing. 

After I got out I also benefited from the Navy. GI Bill benefits, 50% VA comp = 1,000 per month FOR LIFE, and voc rehab eligibility which looks like is going to pay for my entire PA program. I can say now, without a doubt that joining the Navy was the best decision of my life so far. 

Obviously joining the military comes with risks, but you know this. I was lucky not to get seriously injured to the point that I couldnt fully function. The other day I was swimming at the pool with my family and I saw a wheel chair at the end of the pool with a purple heart sticker, and some military stickers on the back. A man had been swmming in that lane for about 50 minutes and when he got out I noticed he was mising three limbs... THREE! He had one arm. I was truely moved when I saw this and I felt compelled to go up to him and thank him for his service. He responded with "it was an honor." Just imagine. serving your country, and losing three limbs for it, and here he is swimming in a lap pool for about an hour, and he doesnt let this fact get in the way or bring him down. Just incredible. 

Anyways, my point is that while it can be a great experience, it can also be a bad one... in many ways. It takes the right person. There are many indivudals whom I served with that were such bitter people, and hated being in the military, I felt sorry for them but, like I said it takes the right person. 

Sorry that was long but I am proud of my miltary service and will gladly talk about it. :)

Good luck and let us know how things go for you. 

-Greg

I think being a Corpsman is some of the best experience you can have as a PA applicant. There is a catch though.. You have to be engaged with the providers you work with and show interest to know more. Taking vitals or just kicking it won't provide you an advantage in school. Ask questions and be willing to do more than your average Corpsman is wanting to do. I also think going to a C school is a great option also. I was a Surgical tech/ Urology tech while I was a Corpsman and it was some of the best clinical experiences I've ever had. If your Docs trust you, they will let you do more. The hard part is going to school while being on active duty. I was extremely lucky in that I was able to go to school full time while on active duty. This unfortunately is up to your command/workspace. 

As far as school.... I don't think anything will prepare you for your didactic year, however you will most likely shine in your clinical year. Good luck!

I think being a Corpsman is some of the best experience you can have as a PA applicant. There is a catch though.. You have to be engaged with the providers you work with and show interest to know more. Taking vitals or just kicking it won't provide you an advantage in school. Ask questions and be willing to do more than your average Corpsman is wanting to do. I also think going to a C school is a great option also. I was a Surgical tech/ Urology tech while I was a Corpsman and it was some of the best clinical experiences I've ever had. If your Docs trust you, they will let you do more. The hard part is going to school while being on active duty. I was extremely lucky in that I was able to go to school full time while on active duty. This unfortunately is up to your command/workspace. 

As far as school.... I don't think anything will prepare you for your didactic year, however you will most likely shine in your clinical year. Good luck!

How the hell did you do that???

In did my undergrad mostly online (National University)  where I was able to take one class per month (able to take two a month if you keep your GPA up) and took all my prereqs in class (at National which were two months if the class had a lab). As long as the University you go to are regionally accredited, you are in the clear with PA schools.. Work smarter not harder!! Haha! 

In did my undergrad mostly online (National University)  where I was able to take one class per month (able to take two a month if you keep your GPA up) and took all my prereqs in class (at National which were two months if the class had a lab). As long as the University you go to are regionally accredited, you are in the clear with PA schools.. Work smarter not harder!! Haha! 

Oooh that is awesome man. I don't know how much I really like online learning, but I might have to look into that. What was your undergrad degree? 

• 4 weeks later...

I was greenside my whole enlistment of 6 years. My first experience was with 1st MAW in Oki. I performed sick call, immunizations, record keeping, minor procedures, and field ops with marines. I was the only corpsman for my unit of around 180 marines so you gotta be organized with stuff. Went to Thailand, PI, and Korea. Out of Thailand nd Korea, I was the only medical personnel that went with my Marines so keeping up with basic sick call procedures was important. Then came to 3rd MAW in Miramar and was at the base clinic. Did have some restrictions when going out to do some coverage since the clinic was associated with Balboa. Kind of sucked coming from being able to go on field ops and able to do a whole bunch to being restricted to just putting a band-aid on. I was able to get certified in providing allergy immunizations while in SD. I was still performing sick call, immunization, basic procedures like IV's, biopsy specimens, sutures, toenail removals and also had to do BRIG physicals. Got deployed in a IA position to Afghan with 3rd MARDIV. While there I did casualty tracking for a month then went to my unit where I did sick call, mounted and dismounted patrols, prisoner physicals, medivacs, etc. Best experiences were being with the Marines. Would choose that over blueside all day. Plus I got to get my FMF pin for ACE and GCE as well. So if you want more hands on care with more responsibilities then I would suggest pick MARDIV or go be a Recon Corpsman. 

I haven't gotten in a PA program so far, but I am applying for next years cycle after completing my bachelors. Hope this helped.

• 1 month later...

I was blue side quad balls for a while then 8483.

Umm some of you posted 8404 but NOT FMF... I thought 8404 was FMF? At least IIRC it was when I was in. Do you mean you went to FMSS but didn't get the insignia? I thought all who went FMSS C school got FMF automatically. (disclaimer I got out when some of you were toddlers and FMF corpsman didn't have an insignia. Just a maroon ribbon) Can someone clarify?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

As you can see experience can differ greatly. I was greenside (with Marines) my entire enlistment. Spent time in many countries including Iraq.

I was with an infantry unit and we wrecked some sh!t up and took names. A brotherhood like no other. You're expected to function at or above the level of the average Marine/Infantryman. I was expected to know how to operate every weapons system I encountered, and did on multiple occasions (.50 CAL, 240, 40mm, etc).

You are expected to be of the utmost physical fitness or be labeled a dirtbag corpsman.

You somehow, are designated as the "know it all" to settle any disputes. For example, 2 Marines debating the type of rock on Mars...they'll ask you to settle the argument.

You'll bleed, cry, laugh.

You wouldn't change any of it for the world.

Being an FMF Corpsman and having the FMF designation/Pin are two different things. I had seen combat before I ever got my FMF pin. Like others have said, that was a great accomplishment.

I wore my Navy uniform in Bootcamp and Corps school, and that was it. I identify much more closely with my Marines because of all we've been through and the culture I was immersed in.

Your medical experience will be like that of nothing else in the civilian world. You'll function at a high level if you push yourself to learn.

You'll end your time knowing you did all you could for your country, you Marines and yourself.

You'll live your life knowing you are part of a small and honored community, one that encompasses a group awarded the most Medals of Honor for actions in combat.

Proceed at your own risk.

Aannnnnd I'm drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm another FMF guy. I did nine years active and another three reserve. I did over three years with 2D MARDIV as senior corpsman and all that other good shit. Deployed as well and earned my FMF pin (Fucking YUT). I also just finished my first semester of PA school. If you have any questions, let me know. Besides that, it was my favorite part of being a corpsman. It sucks and it is also the best time I have ever had in my life. Those relationships that are formed, especially during deployment, will always remain. Just remember, if you decide to go green side, do it for yourself, and...Welcome to the suck. 

• 8 months later...

Archived