Need advice on which schools to apply/chances

Hi all,

I am currently in the application process for the 2016-2017-application cycle and am waiting for my application to be verified. I have a below average GPA and GRE and am worried about my chances. I am thinking of applying to schools that do not require the GRE to help improve my chances. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ethnicity: Native American

Cumulative GPA: 3.30

Science GPA: 3.09

GRE: 148, 148, 4.5 writing

Shadow Hours:  100 hours with multiple physicians and PA

Letters of Reference: 2 supervisor MD's I work for, 1 professor, 1 volunteer manager

HCE: 4000 hours as a CNA

Volunteer: 450 hrs

Clothing drive I organized- 150 hours, raised over 2000 pieces of clothing

Hospital volunteering in multiple units- 100 hours

Big Brothers Big sisters- 100 hours

Free Medical Clinic where I serve as a CMA- 100 hours

I am not very confident heading into this application cycle, but I wanted to apply anyways. Any advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of applying mainly to schools that do not require the GRE and also have rolling admission/ a late application deadline. 

Please help!

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this. Thank you in advance!

Your GPA is below the average for most schools, your HCE is a strong point though. With your GRE being below the 50% mark you will likely be auto sorted for rejection at a lot of schools. Look at schools with the words holistic in their application information.

It will be an uphill battle for this cycle especially with you app being very late. If you don't get in look at taking some classes to try and improve your GPA and retake the GRE with the goal of scoring above 150 for verbal and Quant

Definitely retake your GRE and score >150. My stats are similar to yours and I have received 1 interview so far for this cycle. Personally, I think it was my personal statement and letters of recommendation that pulled through. Don't give up! I'm trying to stay positive as well. If it doesn't work out this cycle, try to submit early next time and retake a few science courses. All your hard work will pay off in the end!

One school that might be a good option is Northern Arizona University. They have a specific Native American track which would be a major advantage to you. 

Surprisingly, one of your biggest down falls is the time in which you are applying. September is very late in the cycle for most schools, and this will be a major disadvantage to your application. Your academic record is also lacking significantly. Hoepfully your HCE will make up for it all. 

This will be a good experience to apply and go through the motions but be very selective on which schools you apply to, and look at NAU. 

If you dont make it this year, make sure you apply EARLY next year!

Good luck, and let us know what happens. 

-Greg

Archived