LGBT attitudes at grad-level?

• 3 months later...

DeSales' student handbook says that the only acceptable marriage is between a husband and wife.  Even if they are tolerant, they are dismissive of same sex relationships.  Why pour your tuition dollars into a discriminatory institution?  

Hey bud, just saw this and I'm currently in the Program over at  DeSales and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  Of course, you're 100% right that it's a Catholic university with obviously conservative leanings “as an institution” so to speak.  That being said on the day to day  I haven’t noticed any discrimination among faculty as far as their attitudes (no jokes, no mentionings of anything, and if anything during our classes they stress use of inclusive language and on more than one occasion the question of “How do you address a patient who appears to be transitioning?”  was answered with “Ask them how they want to be addressed and then give them the same treatment you’d give your child.”)  I’d be happy to ask my friends in the class who are part of the LGBT community if they’ve noticed any discrimination either through the institution or among the other students.  Allow me to acknowledge my own privilege though b/c I am a cis-gendered Caucasian male so I know that my perspective is obviously going to be vastly different than somebody who is LGBTQ.  I’d say another issue that’s definitely more apparent is the utter lack of ethnic/racial/cultural diversity among staff and students.  It’s largely (but not only) whole bunch of upper-middle class suburban white kids.   PM with any questions.  

I'm a current P1 with many friends in the p2 class and have never seen or heard of any discrimination towards LGBT individuals or any other groups of individuals for that matter in our program. In fact, the P2 class president is openly gay and has brought his partner to many events. Some of the staff have LGBT kids as well that they talk about openly. The program is very inclusive. We are taught when asking sexual histories to ask if the patient sleep with men women or both in a very professional manner. The whole program is very professional. Yes the school is catholic but the extent that that influences the program, from what I've seen, is very minimal. There are a couple of biblical sculptures in the building, which is shared with the business school and nursing program, and the Father of the university invites PA students to school sponsored dinners every semester. He'll pray before we eat but there's also an open bar there which he partakes in as well. Hope that helps!

Archived