Need help to find my dream specialty.

Hi, I am now starting my second year in PA school and have to choose areas for my electives. I really enjoy tasks that use diagnostic/ clinical reasoning. Could someone advise what fields/specialties/settings would be the best for me? Thanks a lot. 

You'll have to be way more specific than this.

Also, it can be difficult to find an area that you like until you're actually working in that specialty.

Hi, I am now starting my second year in PA school and have to choose areas for my electives. I really enjoy tasks that use diagnostic/ clinical reasoning. Could someone advise what fields/specialties/settings would be the best for me? Thanks a lot.

All of medicine requires diagnosis and clinical reasoning..... start rotations and being to learn what you actually like. What is your medical background prior to PA school?

Thanks for replying. We have core rotations in general specialties (general medicine, general surgery, peds, emergency medicine, Obgyn, family medicine, psych. and geriatrics). I can have two more choices as electives and I don’t want to miss on something that could be very suitable for me. I enjoy figuring thing out (not just doing follow up visits after the main treatment, for example). Among others, I was thinking about neurology, it is an interesting field, but I don’t know if PAs ever (even after they become experienced) get undiagnosed cases in this area. Prior to PA school I was a scientist in cell biology.   Thanks again.

Thanks for replying. We have core rotations in general specialties (general medicine, general surgery, peds, emergency medicine, Obgyn, family medicine, psych. and geriatrics). I can have two more choices as electives and I don’t want to miss on something that could be very suitable for me. I enjoy figuring thing out (not just doing follow up visits after the main treatment, for example). Among others, I was thinking about neurology, it is an interesting field, but I don’t know if PAs ever (even after they become experienced) get undiagnosed cases in this area. Prior to PA school I was a scientist in cell biology.   Thanks again.

I just got into a specialty that I really didn't even know existed in PA school. So far, I find it really interesting (way more than I would have thought). I found it by simply looking on job boards and applying to a bunch of different specialties.

So you never really know.

And, yes, PAs do work in neurology.

I just got into a specialty that I really didn't even know existed in PA school. So far, I find it really interesting (way more than I would have thought). I found it by simply looking on job boards and applying to a bunch of different specialties.

So you never really know.

And, yes, PAs do work in neurology.

What is this specialty?  

Archived