Severe eczema since childhood

What do you derm PAs recommend as treatment for severe eczema extending from childhood to adulthood? He has tried long-term topical steroid (which caused individual to become overweight) and short bursts oral steroids for flare-ups with minimal success. Has also tried gluten/wheat-free diet. I'm not very familiar with tx after that. Obviously there is no cure, but this person's eczema always appears to be more inflamed than not. Does phototherapy work? Biologics? Methotrexate? Consult with allergist/immunologist probably wouldn't hurt. Any feedback would help contribute to my learning and help me guide this close family member in seeking appropriate treatment. Thank you. 

First is education. Hydrophor on skin immediately after bathing, and remind them to bath in lukewarm water, and anytime the skin is even thought to be dry. For exacerbation, night soaks have been a game changer for me. Any time they even think an exacerbation is starting, you take a sock with the tip cut off, soak it in water, and have them wear that on the extremity when they go to sleep. A dry one can be place over the wet to help keep sheets dry. Really it can be done any time of day, but night is most convenient. With eczema, it's all about hydrating the skin. Do these things an you'll be grabbing the big guns much less. For those with frequent exacerbation, the end game is topical pimecrolimus, Elidel. An allergist/immunologist is likely unnecessary and not going to be able to help much past what I've said unless the diagnosis is in question. Then a just a biopsy needs to be done which nearly any PA can do.

• 5 months later...

I have suffered from severe eczema since I was a child and now as a 25 year old woman I am still struggling to find ways to not just contain my skin problems but treat them. Look no more. I went from using 6 creams, 2 of which were prescription, to only foderma serum and Cetaphil. Completely changed my skin and quality of life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use foderma serum on my five year old when her eczema flares up. Great stuff! I've bought every over the counter exzema lotion, and this serum is by far the best! It's the only kind I've used since I discovered it three years ago. I would recommend it to anyone of any age that suffers from eczema.

Archived