NEW JERSEY: Kean University

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my acceptance letter as well. I got nervous because it was in a small envelope and thought it was a rejection letter, I thought they'd email us or something. Very excited, but still nervous about if they will receive accreditation. I was in the first group of interviews and it was mentioned that they lost a contract with one of the hospitals which is why the class size was decreased...I hope that doesn't look bad on them and effect the accreditation status. Good luck to everyone!

For those that went to the interview or info sessions, what are your thoughts about the curriculum and clinicals compared to other programs? What type of rotation sites are set up for students (i.e outpatient practice? hospitals?)

I truly enjoyed my experience at Kean through the interview, and I definitely left with a much better impression of the school than I arrived with. I still left with a few lingering questions about their clinicals and accreditation, however. Like someone mentioned earlier they recently lost a contract with a hospital for clinicals, and that is the reason they lowered the number of accepted students to the first incoming class. Dr. Valdez seemed confident and excited about the number of contracts that were still being presented to them, but I had hoped that that was something that would have been set in stone already. Still, there are only three other programs in the state of New Jersey, so that leaves a lot of availability for clinical rotations. I believe Dr. Valdez said that we would be able to set up our own rotations as long as they met all the right criteria. The facilities are brand new and that was something that I was very impressed with. I also really liked the faculty, specifically Dr. Valdez. They seem like they will be very supportive of their students. The curriculum, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is modular-based. Over the course of my interviews I've found that this is becoming very popular among PA programs, and it is appealing because learning system-by-system seems to be more realistic in putting all the information into perspective. Your question is one that I am struggling with myself, because I have about a week to make a decision with the question of their accreditation hanging over my head.

Hi guys! I figured to make a Facebook group where we can get together and talk about the program!

Here's the link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/131884197307680/

The link wasn't working for me

I agree with FamousAmos. My initial thoughts about the program altered from when I went to their info session in August to when I left my interview a couple of weeks ago. I asked during my interview about where some of the rotarion sites are and Dr.Valdez was able to name a couple that are in contract with Kean and the ones she named are reputable. The only setback if you're from out of state is that you have to do them in New Jersey. The program stresses on bridging the healthcare gap in NJ, especially due to the fact that there are only three other PA schools in the state. I found their teaching approach intriguing and their facilities was beautiful! They seem hopeful with the experienced staff from schools such as Cornell and Saint Joseph's University. Myself too was a little apprehensive when thy mentioned that one of the contracts fell through at first but when they told us the general reason why, I don't think its really Kean's fault. This is a big decision for anyone and I guess in the end we all have to take a look and see if we're willing to take that leap of faith.

And sorry! I think I had the page setting on Secret instead of Closed.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/131884197307680?ref=bookmarks

Congrats on the interview! There is a cadaver lab in Newark, NJ. As far as sharing, I think we do with PT students but I could be wrong. Some of the clinical sites include Trinitas, Saint Barnabas and some of their affiliate centers/hospitals , Hackensack Medical Center and some in South Jersey - pretty much all over the stafe. They said the schedule is looking like Monday-Friday most likely a 9-5 but when they have guest lecturers it might be later so they'll try to accommodate by having class a little later the next day. That part they're still ironing out.

I thought the interview was relaxing, there's a tour of the campus, interviews and a group activity. The faculty was really nice and I had fun meeting the other prospective students. My advice and I'm sure others could attest is that to just be yourself, know why you want to be a PA and just show them how passionate you are to become one. Good Luck!

I will be interviewing 2/2/17. Any advice/thoughts about the program from those who interviewed/got in? What are some of the clinical sites? Is there a cadaver lab? What's the schedule like? How was the interview? Sorry for so many questions :)

Your best bet is to be yourself. Talk about personal experiences you have had in the healthcare industry (events that make you 100% positive that being a PA is what your meant to do). I cant recall if there was a cadaver lab but there was a beautiful mock medical office that is newly built. Expect to be there all day. The interview schedule was very organized (campus tour, lunch, essay, two interviews, and group activity, as well as a short financial and program overview). The interviewers where extremely nice and the environment was way more calm and comfortable than I had anticipated. One of the most relaxing and easy interviews I have been too. Best of luck to you!

Hi! I received my acceptance letter on Tuesday. Does anyone else have to take medical terminology before the Program starts??? I'm trying to find an online course.

Congrats! I already took medical terminology, but I'm considering taking it again to freshen up. However,  currently in a catch 22 considering we will not hear about accreditation until March. There are a couple of community colleges here in Jersey that are offering medical terminology next semester.

Congrats! I already took medical terminology, but I'm considering taking it again to freshen up. However, currently in a catch 22 considering we will not hear about accreditation until March. There are a couple of community colleges here in Jersey that are offering medical terminology next semester.

Thanks! Congratulations to you as well! And yeah, I totally understand. It's a hard decision. I'm actually from Massachusetts, and I was looking into online classes. There are so many I'm not sure what one to take...

Online medical terminology is very easy. (quizlet is very helpful for online fyi). I kept my text book so I plan on refreshing myself. According to a PA I shadowed, most schools have a terminology quiz at the very start of the semester, so it would be in everyone's best interest to just review so basic medical terms. I myself still have to take biochemistry unfortunately.

Hello everyone! Congrats on the acceptances I'm so excited to meet everyone! I was also accepted but just need to take Biochem! Has anyone taken Biochem online through UNE? I graduated last year and the nearest school that offers biochem to me is about an hour away. So i am considering this option! Any personal experiences with UNE online classes?

Hello everyone! Congrats on the acceptances I'm so excited to meet everyone! I was also accepted but just need to take Biochem! Has anyone taken Biochem online through UNE? I graduated last year and the nearest school that offers biochem to me is about an hour away. So i am considering this option! Any personal experiences with UNE online classes?

Hey, congrats to you as well! I actually took biochem online through UNE this past summer. It was challenging but doable. The text book will be your best friend, I hated the online lectures, definitely recommend downloading a tool that allows you to speed up videos. The study guides are pretty useful as well. I liked that it was self paced, so you can finish at any time. I took it alongside two other online classes and while working full time and was able to complete the class early with an A, so if you put the work in it's definitely possible to do well!

Archived