Cant seem to be satisfied with what I have so far

So this entire summer I have been really hesitate to submit my application only because I know that my statement is going to have a huge impact. I have written two different statements. The first one, as you will read, has more time put into it and  finished. The second statement isnt finished but it does have a different approach. I need a different set of eyes and someone who has experience to help me out. So before I post the statements, I want to say thank you for who ever takes the time to read them. Your input will be highly considered. 

I once read that “the greatest gift you could ever give yourself is the expectation of your success”. And as I sit here and dissect my life in hindsight, I am content in my realization that I am truly embarking on the path of my true calling- the joy in knowing that I will one day be a physician assistant.

Like a trail of breadcrumbs each experience has brought me to this road. And even though the bad news has been I have been creating my own life, I know that the good news is that I create my own life   -Prior to my second year in college I felt afraid and uncertain about my future; I grew up in a bad neighborhood, my parents perpetuated fearful thoughts I fed into, and I succumbed to the mindset that “the real world” had it out to get me, but that was all a trap! You see, what I love about this field so much is the growth that I have found in my pursuit of it. While there had been significant improvement in my gpa sans second year, that feeling of knowing that I can be a better version of myself has kept that excitement of learning and expanding strong within my motivation. I re-evaluated my priorities early on and as a result my grades improved markedly.  I am even proud to share that I became the first Flores to graduate with a BA (and in fire science)!

Like a directors shot of an intern POV scanning a 360 of a busy er room in awe of its orchestration, I vividly recall my aha moment: only in my memory it’s as if time stood still and everything became clear; a man who had been hit by a bus had been rushed in by paramedics and as if it were like watching angels lifting him from death, I stood star-struck in inspiration of all that was unfolding before me. I continued the rest of that shift fueled with the initiative to ask every single question I could fathom about what I had just witnessed and fate have it, I met a PA who was to be my guide to explain all of that and more.

From obtaining medical histories, performing examinations and procedures (whether it be BLS treatments to something more complex), to being able to recognize/diagnose/ refer/treat and team with physicians to combat diseases, I watched this man work his magic on patients and there seemed no end to how many people his scope of practice could impact or how many questions of mine he could give me answers to. I admired how much he knew and how quick and efficient his work made doctors’ visits flow. And I could feel that deep sense of pride that came with the territory that I could see myself living a happy life carrying out.

Now, where I was once oblivious to my own potential, I stand in appreciation of each patient contact I’ve had the opportunity to learn from and grow beyond: I began my journey with the hopes of becoming a fireman, worked as an emt doing critical care transports, then fell captivated with the prospect of being a PA as I transitioned from a pre-hospital care provider to an er technician at Centinela Hospital where I am currently employed.

Not only will I use the situational awareness I have learned in the field to keep my senses keen and my actions ‘quick on my feet, but I will use my inclination to put my best self forward to help me recognize my patient’s ailments more decisively (something that I have already found myself doing having carefully observed many PA’s thus far).

I am not only highly motivated (having managed several jobs / volunteer work at LAC USC medical center er/ on top of having participated in a shadow opportunity with a PA in cardio-thoracic surgery at Cedar Sinai), but I am also very versatile as well, as I am frequently assigned to ED1 & ED2 areas which are fast track areas for patients who are critical and where I am afforded a variety of responsibilities by a rainbow of staff.  Two qualities I feel will serve me very well in your PA program as well as in the hospital under stress.

I was walking towards the linen cart that was stationed in the hallway tired, not expecting anything dramatic as the night shift was giving their report to the nurses coming into the ER that morning. It was my second day as a volunteer walking the halls with a feeling of self-consciousness uncertain of my surroundings and unaware of what exactly I got myself into. Uneasy with each step, a bell rang three times. Immediately five nurses rushed to the nearest gurney by the paramedic bay as an EMT pushed the crash cart by the head rest. The sliding doors open. Two paramedics rush in firmly with a man screaming in agony as they gave report to the surrounding staff, “This is a 35 year old male who just got hit by a bus!”                                                                                                                                                         It was a quarter till 8 and the doctor that was still on duty walked calmly to the gurney. Nurses help pull the patient to the adjacent bed as the EMT quickly connected him to the monitor. “What side was hit?”asked the doctor. “The right side!” replied the paramedic. The doctor did a quick physical assessment looking for any obvious deformities, contusions, and lacerations. As everything seemed to be in place the man yelled, “I can’t breathe!” A nurse handed the doctor their stethoscope. Within moments the doctor was able to identify that the right lung was collapsed. Before the doctor gave the order the EMT was already getting the chest tube. Like a directors shot of an intern POV scanning a 360 of what just occurred in awe of its orchestration, that uncertainty I felt that morning went away. For the remaining of the shift it was my goal to ask every question I could fathom about what just occurred, and fate have it, I met a physician assistant.                                                                                                                     Being able to witness that amazing scenario made me realize the amount of knowledge one must have to save someone’s life. I was intimidated to say the least. My career as a student has always been nontraditional and far from perfect, but with my perseverance I was able to raise my GPA after a faulty first year in college. Despite what I have witnessed in the ER that morning, I continued my path in achieving my bachelors in fire protection and administration to fulfill my desire to be the first in my family to graduate college.                                                                                                                           As I started looking into different master programs in my major, I could not get the scenario out of my mind. Soon after the Dr inserted the chest tube the PA allowed me to shadow them for the remainder of my time there. I was able to witness him treat patients coming in for draining abscesses to treating chronic diseases such as diabetes. There was no limit to his skill set as a health care provider, and I admired it! That was a clear sign for me to return to school and do a post baccalaureate for the profession.                                                                                                                                                                  While attending school, I found myself emailing multiple PA’s regarding an opportunity to shadow. Luckily, a PA responded and the opportunity to shadow them in cardio-thoracic surgery was underway. An aortic valve replacement procedure was scheduled for 5:50 that morning. It was surreal to see a living person lying flat on the operating table heavily sedated about to have their chest opened. Just as the Dr was using the saw to open their chest, the PA was already in the process of harvesting the vein in the patient’s forearm. Once the Dr was finished with their part of the surgery, the PA then took the stand and took over. Before they closed the patient’s chest they allowed me to peek inside. It was incredible! To see a beating heart in plain sight is something that not everyone gets to encounter. I remember thinking to myself how lucky it would be to work in something this fascinating. For the remaining of the day we went to other surgeries until it was time for me leave in the late afternoon. (3811/5000)                                                                                                                                                     After acquiring a phlebotomy certification and experience as an EMT doing critical care transports, I currently work as an ER Tech for an underserved community. There, I have been able to practice many skills outside of taking vitals. Which include CPR, identifying when a patient is “crashing”, splinting, and drawing blood. Out of my time there, I will never forget a patient name Marissa. She was homeless and always came in for the same problem, ETOH. As time went on I became very close to her. She would even request me by name as I was the only one that would assign her a bed every time she came in. unfortunately during this summer she passed away. Once word reached us in the ER, almost all of the staff went to give their respects.                                                                                           So why do I want to be a PA? I want to be a PA because it gives me the opportunity to really make a difference. To do something that is way bigger then me. To be apart of something good that has changed my perspective on interacting with people in need. It allows me to grow and learn as time moves on. Each time I go into work I get inspired to always do better.(4934/5000)

Archived