emzemt713

2017 SUNY Downstate PA Application Cycle (Applying 2016)

I can't find a SUNY Downstate Medical Center application thread for 2017! I wonder why that is. I thought more people would be eager to apply here? Have I missed the thread? I am applying... submitting the end of this month. Anyone else? 

I am submitting my application this month! They just opened their app this year around mid-August, which is later than previous years, so that is probably why nobody posted yet

• Upvote 2

I am submitting my application this month! They just opened their app this year around mid-August, which is later than previous years, so that is probably why nobody posted yet

Good luck! I was getting worried why no one replied... I did not submit yet either. I have to get the official letter for the volunteer work... that threw me for a loop! 2000 hours volunteer HCE as an EMT later, lol.. luckily I am almost there. 

Does anyone know if your bachelors degree must be completed before you apply? I am graduating next month, but don't have my degree yet.

I just clarified with the program. This prerequisite was recently added, and a bachelor's must be completed before applying. Good luck everyone!

I don't think they look for a number, that is competitive I think you just simply do what you can. 

Just so you can know if the field is for you. 

I personally have heard some people have as much as a 1000 and some people had less, So I don't think their's a particular number.

Keep in mind some people work in medical field, so they will definitely have even more than a thousand, simply because the longevity in which they have been working. 

Question: how many hours of hce/pce would you consider competitive?

OMG guys, today is the deadline hope everyone got there applications in, can't wait for the interviews to start, I don't know about you guys but I am so anxious to hear back.

Has anyone noticed a change in their application status?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Farahjules21
      Just thought I start a thread for the upcoming class for any questions and comments.
      Good luck everyone =)
    • By PA-Student
      Just looking for any insight.

I am currently accepted into 3 PA programs and am having a hard time choosing between programs. Below are what my options look like. I am wondering what factors I should focus my attention towards.
      Currently, I am leaning toward SUNY Upstate because of the graduation rate (98.4) and the attrition rate (2.2%). Next is DeSales with a grad rate of (93 to 95%) and attrition rate (6.7%). 

Here is the table!

1. Should I weigh the attrition rate very strongly when choosing? I will be away from my fiancé as she completes her own PA program and have a feeling that I should choose a program that won’t dismiss me if I have a slight setback.

2. I graduate undergrad May 14th from New Mexico. Should my start date be a major factor? With Quinnipiac, I would have a short time to get my affairs in order. While with Desales, I have a few months.

3. SUNY tries to put all clinical rotations in 1 semi-rural facility. Each student has their own facility. Should this be looked at as a negative trait, or does 1 site allow me to do more around the facility? Would this lack of different sites hurt me from finding jobs across the nation?

​4. I am a young African American male. Are there areas in these communities I should avoid? This is a silly question due to the fact that your personality determines who you are and how people treat you, but I am just keeping an open mind.

I know this seems kind of ridiculous to ask on a forum and should be a personal choice, but I just want as many perspectives as possible from those who are familiar with the career. My goal is to simply become a great provider for my patients and not go crazy trying to make this choice.  This community has helped me so much throughout my academic career. Any insight helps. Thank you!

P.S. If you see any incorrect information on this table, feel free to correct me! No offense information about PA programs please. If there is a severely negative aspect, you can email me because I still want to hear it J
    • By JayMan
      Hey. I know it's too early to apply to SUNY's PA program. Figured I would get this going for all of us who are planning to apply this year
      Let's do this!
    • By apoll
      Hey guys! I applied here this year... has anyone heard from them yet? Good luck to everyone!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More