Hello-

I will be moving to Boston, MA with my SO who will be a fellow at Brigham & Womens Hospital next June. I am currently practicing in Urgent Care in Pennsylvania. I have a little over 1 year experience with a company I love, this was my first job out after graduation. At the time of the official move in June 2017 I will have 2 year of UC experience.

This being my first PA job, I have no experience with relocation (new state license, when to start searching for a job, headhunters, etc). I had planned to start looking in October - is this too soon? When should I get my MA state license?

Thanks for any input!

I would get the MA license before applying to jobs, that way employers will see you are ready to go. If I remember right state licensing can take up to a couple of months. 

Indeed.com or the MAPA (state PA group) have good job listings. Or if you know you want to work at a certain hospital just search their listings directly. Recruiters are out there but unless you want a locum/temporary gig my experience has been I can find the job listings myself without their help.

How soon to start looking depends on what type of job you're looking for. If you want to stay in UC, those jobs are relatively plentiful. Something like derm will take longer. Credentialing can take 2-3 months. To give you a rough idea, I work for a large hospital system, application to 1st day on the job was 6 months.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for taking the time to note your experience. I will collect the information regarding MA state license application next week to ensure I am licensed by December at the latest!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jealsa
      Would like to hear about the experience of PAs in Urgent Care facilities (hours, patients/day, work-life balance, etc.). I haven't seen any forums addressing this care setting. Thanks in advance.
    • By Natalie6190
      Here are the details of my offer. There really wasn’t much to it and I have no idea where to start with negotiations and what I need to bring up. My concern is that the salary is a little on the low side. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Details include: 
      92k salary 
      24 days PTO 
      5 days CME
      2k CME 
    • By kuliherb
      New grad dermatology offer in the Northern Virginia area. Solo MD practice with 4 PAs (1 is leaving and another is leaving in a few months). Only the MD has an MA who brings back pts, scribes and assists with procedures. No Mohs in office. PAs see approximately 15 pts per day at 30 minute intervals - bring pts back to rooms, turnover rooms, perform beta-hcgs without assistance. Location, providers and support staff are great - shadowed with the practice following interview. 
      Offered a 1-year contract for $48/hr, 36 hours/wk, work 8AM - 5 PM (1 hr for lunch flexing every other Friday), no weekends or holidays, no call. Paid bi-weekly. Compensation while training will be $25/hr for the first 4-weeks of employment, increasing to $30 thereafter (no longer than 12 weeks) with a retention bonus after 1-year to compensate for pay-cut during training period.
      Productivity bonus begins after 1-year of employment: annual bonus of 5% of the aggregate amount in excess of 3x calculated annual salary.
      PTO - 83.2 hours (2 weeks) covers vacation, sick leave, CME travel; increases to 3 weeks after 1-year
      Annual stipend - $1,000 covers licensure, CME (to include travel and lodging expenses), uniforms, dues, books.
      401k - dollar for dollar matching up to 4%
      Malpractice insurance - provided but no details written in the contract; verbally told that there is no tail coverage but did not seem to know if policy was claims made vs occurrence.
      No dental, health, vision. Currently covered under spouse's plan. 
      Restrictions: no moon-lighting, 2-year non-compete with other derm offices within a 20 mile radius.

Offered Urgent Care position at $58/hr, ~32-36 hrs/wk to include two Fridays and one-two weekends a month. 2 months training at full pay. Non-training shifts will be from 2 PM -10 PM; working with another PA/NP in house at all times - can work solo after 1 year. Paid time and a half for holidays worked. No call. Salary growth of 3-6% annually plus RVU bonus.
      PTO - 84 hrs; plus 3 months maternity leave through disability
      CME $1500
      401K - 100% vested after 1 year, 3-6% match after 1 year
      Profit sharing - 1500 hours (not really sure what this means...need to do some research)
      Malpractice insurance - occurrence policy. No tail coverage.
      Health insurance provided.
      Licensure fees, membership dues covered.

I like both practices and need some feedback. I like staying busy, doing procedures and developing relationships with patients. I do no like the UC hours to include shift time, weekends and holidays - spouse works 9AM-5PM and want to have more time together. Derm location is closer to home, less charting, predictable schedule. I want to renegotiate the derm offer to match the hourly compensation of the UC offer - hoping to get at least $53/hr, ask for 20% rather than 5% annual bonus with a goal stipend of $2500. Any tips of advice of any sort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• By enorthey
      I am someone who is pursuing PA school after being out of school for a number of years.  I am borderline for the 10 year mark for prerequisites and plan to retake the common courses to open my application eligibility pool.  The problem I am running into is that a lot of programs require you to complete prerequisites the December before matriculation. I have at least two courses I would need to take in the Spring to be up-to-date in all coursework.  This means I would need to sit out this application cycle due to the December timeline.  Does anyone know where I could find a list or have some suggestions of schools who accept students conditional of courses being complete at the time of matriculation rather than by December?  I know Penn State, Emory, and a few others do this.  Do you know of others?

clarifying part:  I have most of the prerequisites done already except for OChem and Chem 2.  I am just retaking because I am so borderline or the 10 year time limit many programs have. 
    • By futurePA4312
      My SP is retiring and selling his FM practice. I am looking for advice on salary negotiation with the new supervising physician.
      The new SP has big aspirations for the practice and plans to add many updates which is exciting but it appears that it will also come with quite the workload increase.

I suspect that we will be marketing the practice more which means more patients. (I currently average 15 per day)
      He wants me to credential at the local hospital and round on our patients in the morning if they were admitted to the hospital in the morning prior to seeing patients at clinic.
      He also wants me to begin taking call (one weekend a month) at the local hospital.
      We may also round at the local Nursing Homes one day a week

Current Base: 90k. No Production bonuses

With the added workload that will be expected, any advice on if I should ask for a raise vs productivity bonus? 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More