Cycle 2012: who's applying?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are not going to have your pre-reqs in, don't waste your time and money applying... BUT do look into classes at nearby community colleges... I was able to take a microbiology with a lab that did not require organic chemistry and satisfied my pre-req at one school. And I also found another cc (45 min away) that did chem 1 in summer A and chem 2 summer B. It was a pain in the *** to drive there mon-thurs but in the end, sooo worth getting those out of the way in one semester. Good luck! :)

nlaroco - 5 semesters of chemistry for EVMS? Can you explain what you mean? The only Chemistry courses that are included in the prerequisites are Intro Chemistry and Either Organic Chemistry OR Biochemistry.

I'm assuming they mean they would have to take the pre-req for Gen Chem 1 (Intro to Chem), Gen Chem 1, Gen Chem 2 (because they are pre-reqs for Org. Chem), Org. Chem (which is a pre-req for micro at my school - UF), and then Microbiology. So essentially, if you start at the beginning it would take 5 semesters. But I guess this depends on the pre-reqs different schools require.

• 1 month later...
Was all set to apply for 2013 --- now I just found out that the pre-requisite chemistry classes requires at least 5 semesters of chemistry. So I won't be able to make it for this year. Should I just give up or wait until 2014?

There are only two semesters of chemistry required, each being at least 3 semester credits.

I wanted to find out where is everyone application "stuck in"? Mine has been in "initial file review" since like January! I applied in september.

Good I'm not the only one! I called them like a month ago and they said that even though they look at all applications as if they were turned in at the same time, they will *probably* get to mine before they get to, say, someone who applied late fall or winter. Let's see if there is any truth to that.

Just thought I would comment here. It is a pretty massive undertaking to review 1600 application and give them all the attention that they deserve. Our application deadline is March 1st. The faculty are currently reviewing applications and will continue through May. Offers for interviews will go out in early June for interviews conducted on July 13, 14, and 16th. Very soon after that we start sending out offers of seats in our class that will start in January 2013.

We allow applicants to submit applications as early as April when CASPA opens up again, so that those applying for schools starting in the fall can do so and select us as well. But, all summer and into the early fall we are selecting interviewees, conducting interviews, and seating our next class. So, there should not be an expectation that we will review your application as soon as we get it. Good luck!

ummph,

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. It makes me less anxious for sure :). I have a question though. I started a new job that would make me a better candidate than when I originally applied. Is there any way to add that to my application? Is calling or emailing best?

Archived