? about best loan options

Are there any private loans that are competitive with the subsidized Stafford loan? The subsidized stafford loan will cover all of my tuition and expenses, but I would like to know if there are any private loans that offer a better fixed rate?

I'm considering the Wells Fargo MedCap loan. It has a variable rate, but the highest rate right now is 7.25%, which is lower than a GradPlus loan. You have the option to make interest while in school or not. The MedCap loan is also a little easier to get approved for with or without a co-signer. It's worth a look at.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never taken out a loan and therefore know absolutely nothing about loans so I apologize in advance if my question appears silly. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a private loan that has a fixed interest rate at less than 8%? I'm just wondering if there is anything better than the Grad PLUS loan or is the Grad PLUS loan the best that it gets for us? I looked into the Wells Fargo Medcap loan, but variable interest rates scare me. Please provide me with some advice. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I actually got a WellsFargo MedCAP loan at 4.75% interest, which is highly competitive with Stafford loans. Things to consider however is that the interest rate is variable and the loans cannot be paid through government loan repayment programs.

When comparing the GradPLUS loan at 8% Fixed with a 3% Fee, the MedCAP just made more sense for my situation. If I were to pay them off at the same rate over 15 years, I will "save" ~ $10k.

Are there any private loans that are competitive with the subsidized Stafford loan? The subsidized stafford loan will cover all of my tuition and expenses, but I would like to know if there are any private loans that offer a better fixed rate?

I know i am a little late on this...but i thought i would chime in:

Subsidized = the government pays your interest until you graduate...I have never heard of a private loan that will not charge you interest until you graduate, but maybe i am wrong

• 5 months later...

Archived