2016-2017 Applicants

I called to ask before I picked my date and Alex indicated that they would decide after all of the interviews. She told me that they would decide in January.

So, they are going to do all of the interviews but they aren't going to notify people of acceptance until January?

I emailed Alex from UNMC back today to confirm my interview date  so I could make sure I get the right day off for work and she told me I am signed up for October 28th session A (which is what I chose) and that we will be receiving more information this week! So I'm guessing we will get the full confirmation emails soon!

As a current student at UNMC, I would really encourage you to consider other schools over UNMC. They are not in the best shape right now and the curriculum is changing again next year. Unless this is your only option, I would absolutely suggest a different school. Myself and a number of others are not satisfied with the education this year. As a side note, I'm a grad student heavily involved with the PA/PT courses.

Would you care to explain a little more? Such as why people are not satisfied with their education or what you mean by they are not in the best shape? It would be helpful to know!

I talked to someone who is a second year there and she said she doesn't believe that anymore incoming classes will have a problem. She said it was mainly her class and this year's that have had a tough transition and changes. She was really positive and said to keep an open mind and definitely ask the interviewers questions if you have concerns. 

• Upvote 2

As a current student at UNMC, I would really encourage you to consider other schools over UNMC. They are not in the best shape right now and the curriculum is changing again next year. Unless this is your only option, I would absolutely suggest a different school. Myself and a number of others are not satisfied with the education this year. As a side note, I'm a grad student heavily involved with the PA/PT courses.

As a current UNMC PA student I would be wary of listening to people who are not in the PA course making recommendations. Yes there was a faculty turnover. I do think that our current faculty is fantastic. They are super passionate and approachable and are willing to go the extra mile for their students. The class last year had struggles with the turnover in the middle of the year, but our class has not experienced any of that. If anyone has any questions, let me know. 

• Upvote 3

@unmcPA2018 I'm glad to hear you like the program. I didn't mean any offense by my post. It's good to know that students are happy with the program. Unfortunately, there are several that I know who are unimpressed, so I was simply speaking from my experience/what I've heard from several current and former students. I also wasn't speaking about last year. I'm actually speaking about the future of the program as I've heard from multiple faculty as well. But once again, thanks for your input to the current applicants. Regardless, the education you receive from UNMC will be stellar even if some people think the experience is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to my friend again and unfortunately I think it made up my mind for me. Some of my friends know people in the program and they have heard stories too. They now had two more faculty leave and not a single one of the faculty they have now has been there for more than 6 months and none or them have any background as teachers. They may be nice people, but if I'm paying big bucks for Physician's Assistant school I want to have staff who know what theyre doing.

My friend said their class is in big trouble because the person who managed their clinicals is gone now. The people who are in the class that just started haven't even had a class taught by the new faculty yet because they're still in anatomy, so they can't really tell yet how good or bad it's going to be.

Good luck if you decide to apply. I'm so sad because I always wanted to go there but my parents are helping me with school and they don't want to risk paying or me to pay for a program that isn't very high quality.

I just talked to my friend again and unfortunately I think it made up my mind for me. Some of my friends know people in the program and they have heard stories too. They now had two more faculty leave and not a single one of the faculty they have now has been there for more than 6 months and none or them have any background as teachers. They may be nice people, but if I'm paying big bucks for Physician's Assistant school I want to have staff who know what theyre doing.

My friend said their class is in big trouble because the person who managed their clinicals is gone now. The people who are in the class that just started haven't even had a class taught by the new faculty yet because they're still in anatomy, so they can't really tell yet how good or bad it's going to be.

Good luck if you decide to apply. I'm so sad because I always wanted to go there but my parents are helping me with school and they don't want to risk paying or me to pay for a program that isn't very high quality.

I understand your concerns and I will agree they are valid. Our program director has been here since 2012, so he has been here more than six months. The previous class also had experience having the new faculty lecture, and had good things to say. The thing people forget is that there is generally high turnover in academic settings. Unlike undergraduate courses where you have professors that choose to teach for their career (or do research and "teach"), all higher level medicine programs will have professors coming from a clinical practice. Many will chose to go back to clinical practice. We are blessed in our program to have access to a large host of expert speakers that will come in on their time off from clinical practice to give us lectures for specific modules, a very strong benefit of being part of an academic hospital. Yes, the clinical person is leaving, but the relationships we have set up with other programs are still there. The UNMC reputation has been proven over many years and don't forget there has been staff turnover in the past! Again, I welcome anyone with specific questions or concerns to message me. I am happy to be at UNMC and know that I am going to get a great education. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, I did. It honestly is super relaxed! They just really want to get to know you and what you're like. You're on campus for most of the day, but the time really flies and there's a lot of opportunity to get to know the other applicants.

Has anyone else that's interviewed heard anything back? I know it's early, but waiting is killing me!

I interviewed the 28th and still haven't heard anything, It is killing me waiting too! Don't think we will hear anything till mid December if we are lucky

I interviewed the 28th too! Haha what's your name?

And yeah I agree I think hearing back before Christmas would be awesome. But it sounded like it could take until January.