Physician Assistant Prescriptive Authority

I recently had a meeting with our COO about some issues the hospital was having, and the issue of marketing and recruiting came up. She remarked how they are heavily recruiting new MD, DO, and NP's to the hospital. Not just as hospitalists but also for the outpatient volume. As a soon to be PA student I asked about PA's. She remarked that PA's do no have prescriptive authority in Texas. Now looking at the law this might indeed be the letter of the law, as you have to get the delegation to prescribe from a physician. But is this not true for APN or NP? At the meeting I just bit my lip and went on with the rest of the agenda, but I would love to get some info and education from people more in the know than I. Everything that I have found on the state board of medicine for Texas says that delegation has to be given by a licensed physician... Is this just a vocabulary lesson in how NP's and PA's are stated in the law? Of course as someone that hasn't officially started school I am open to being wrong, and would not mind some advice in better places to look.

Yes I did notice that a PA can have their own DEA number, but it looks like she was also right that they still have to have prescriptive authority given to them by their supervising physician. But by equal note it looks like in the state of Texas so does an APN/NP, given that an APN and NP are the same thing. This appears so according to the State of Texas law. I just want to make sure I understand the material before I have another conversation with her basically stating she was wrong. At least for now she is my boss, but I could not in good conscience send patients to this hospital once I graduated to these hospitals. If I am going to pick a fight, I want to make sure I can win it LOL! As long as they both require prescriptive authority to be gained by a licensed physician, then that tells me that Texas law sees them both as equal in this area.

She is wrong. PA's do have their OWN state dps number and their OWN Fed DEA number. I write what I want. Every year your supervising doc just signs a 1 line form approving the schedule of drugs that he allows you to write. Notice I said schedule and not exact what drugs to write. It takes about 10 seconds to fill out. Also it is not tied to a location. I can write scripts all over Texas. Sounds like she needs to brush up on her Healthcare law a little :)

NeoTrion -- Yes, you are correct... NP's have to have prescriptive authority given to them by a physician and must list that information on the prescription (same as PA's). There is no distinguishing difference in the laws between the two. The only difference is that an NP registers their "Collaborating Physician" in a different place than the PA does.

The following is taken from: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/440315#TX which was updated this past month.

[h=4]Texas[/h]

• General authority to prescribe is evidenced by inclusion on the prescription of the prescriber's title and state-issued Rx # and as outlined in the prescriber's collaborative practice protocols
  • All prescriptions must show collaborating physician's name, address, and phone #
  • Authority to prescribe controlled substances includes Schedule III-V; state registration requirements (in addition to federal DEA registration) are contained in rules
  • Prescriptions for scheduled drugs must show the name and DEA # of both the prescriber and the collaborating physician

I have sent her an email about the issue. We shall see what she says. I wanted to know if it was a corporate policy, or they had a reason to specifically not recruit PA's. We shall see what happens. I will keep you informed. I am not expecting to much to happen to be honest. I think she spoke ignorantly, and I do not see her admitting as doing so...... Either way I will tread lightly. I still need my job for a couple of months LOL....

• 4 weeks later...

Still nothing back from the COO. I think before I leave I might just have to say something up the ladder. Most of the PAs, NPs, MDs, and RNs I work with said it was just pure ignorance on her part. But to be honest I would like to hear that from her. Otherwise I would have no reason in sending any of my patients to a hospital that my orders would not be followed.... But it is still best not to destroy a bee hive until you are well out of the area LOL.

Archived