Interesting supervising physician job

Hey all,

I know, I can hardly believe it myself but I am now a PGY3 in Family Medicine on the interview trail for a grownup physician job.

I've been in SC for a decade and homesick for the Best Coast for quite some time. I just finished a beastly month on service medicine as the supervising resident over a team of 2 wet-behind-the-ears interns and a reasonable PGY2 with an average daily census of 19 (my half of the service) very sick medically complex inpatients. Left yesterday morning after checking out to the oncoming team and headed out for my first vacation since October. I woke up 3000 miles away in my hometown (Salem, Oregon) and it's 35 degrees cooler, overcast and perfect lol.

I have an interview tomorrow for a somewhat intriguing supervising physician job for a large, well-established community health center here. I have an NHSC loan repayment obligation so it would work out well from that perspective with a HPSA score of 20 (my deal requires a minimum of 14 so we're good). My one hangup is it's exclusively outpatient as many CHCs are and I truly would miss hospital medicine...would probably try to find a moonlighting hospitalist gig nearby. But the vision I have for this job is to be an active physician educator. I would like to use the Society of Teachers in Family Medicine curriculum (a self-study module over 3 yr, easily adapted for outpatient PA/NP needs) as a basis for enhancing the education of PAs and NPs in our CHC. We are really creating this job from scratch--they've been advertising for over a year but haven't had many bites. Truthfully, not many folks like me exist who have been through both PA and physician education and worked actively in both professions. I think the CHC is quite open to my vision and willing to pay for it--not a lowball salary like so many CHCs. Eventually, I can see it working toward becoming a Teaching Health Center--my devious little plan, heh heh :)

So...throw out ideas. I want to hear them all. I have 8 hr with these people tomorrow and anything you guys can help me think of before then is AWESOME.

Thanks friends!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Adding the link for the supervising physician posting...sounds interesting.

https://www.careermd.com/physicians/ViewListing.aspx?ListingID=289247649

Are you an experienced Physician with a passion for teaching? Do you have skill and knowledge youd like to pass on to other care providers? Northwest Human Services is a Tier III Patient Centered Medical Home and FQHC located in Salem, Oregon. We are seeking a supervising physician to oversee, mentor, and supervise several Physician Assistants managing individual panels of 1500 patients. This person will be responsible for proctorship, consultation, and documentation oversight of assigned mid-level providers. This is a full-time position that includes patient care responsibilities in a busy family practice. 

Qualified candidate must a graduate of an accredited medical school and be licensed or eligible for licensure by the Oregon State Medical Board. Must have completed Primary Care residency and be board certified.

Northwest Human Services offers an excellent paid time off plan, a matching 403(b) retirement plan, and health insurance including medical, dental, vision, a life insurance policy, and short and long term disability. 

Positions also include a generous performance based incentive plan, moving expense reimbursement, sign-on bonus and retention bonus plan, medical malpractice coverage, CME reimbursement, 5 days CME pay, and license & DEA renewal. Our clinic sites are eligible for Federal NHSC Loan Repayment Program. 

Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus but not required. We currently have a full-time position available at our community health clinic in Salem, Oregon for a licensed Family Practice Physician.

If you are interested in joining a team that makes a difference in the lives of many you may apply at:

This sounds like a pretty good fit for you!

One thing I love about my current job (its really focused on a lot of teaching and learning experiences) is we have monthly case review and M&M. Learning from others mistakes helps me to prevent these mistakes in the future). Its also a great review on teaching points and the obscure things we don't always get. Sometimes we do full teaching on a topic if it's not seen often to help reinforce the case. Trying to set up something like this would likely keep people interested instead of just straightforward teaching

affiliate with an institution and be able to grant some type of degree as a function of completion of your program

as nurses already have a doctorate option, open this up to PA

(thats as much as I can come up with before my first cup of coffee this AM)

I don't know (yet) about the degree, but I may look into residency accreditation. Seems an interesting concept. Family Medicine is so huge...the knowledge base required to do it well is vast and deep. Doesn't always get the respect it deserves. I'm passionate about it and would be excited to develop a teaching health center 5 yr down the road...maybe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Guest Paula

Ohh, too bad.  Sorry that didn't work out, I thought it interesting and exciting that a DO/PA could have the opportunity to mentor and educate and develop a teaching center (aka mini residency programs for PAs).  

I would love to have you come to Northern Wisconsin.  We are looking for FP physicians.  My SP is thinking about  transferring to geriatrics practice so I need a good DO.  Could you stand the winters?  I'm serious.  WE are interviewing. 

Archived