Eastern Michigan 2016-2017 Application cycle

Hi all!

I'm new to applying. This is my first cycle.  I wanted to bring forward my stats and would like to hear some feedback as far as where I would stand. 

Graduation Date: April 2014

University: Oakland University (Rochester, MI)

Major: Bachelors of Health Sciences with concentration in Integrative Holistic Medicine

Pre-Req GPA: 3.65

Advanced Human Anatomy- 3.7

Advanced Human Physiology- 4.0

Inorganic Chemistry- 4.0

Organic Chemistry- 4.0

Clinical Microbiology- 3.9

Intro Psychology- 3.1

Developmental/ Lifespan Psychology- 3.5

Statistics- 3.0

Overal CASPA GPA: 3.12

Patient Contact Hours: 3,900 (paid, Certified Nursing Assistant)

Healthcare Experience: Dental Office Manager, Care Management Administration

Shadowing Hours: ~70 (Trauma, Surgical Service, Rapid Response, and Neurology) 

Letters of Reccomendation: 1 from Neurology PA (I work with her on my hospital unit), 1 from a Derm/GI PA (I volunteered at her clinic in Chicago), 1 from my unit manager, and 1 from a professor (professor for my biochem/pathology courses, conducts breast cancer research at OU). 

Extra Curricular:

Pre-PA Society, Vice President (Oakland University)

Keep Detroit Beautiful, Brand Ambassador (Detroit, MI) 

Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Executive Board Member, Volunteer Coordinator

Gamma Phi Beta, Recruitment/ Chapter Advisor (Beta Chapter- University of Michigan) 

Any recommendations for me? I am currently taking a few courses just to keep up with my studies. I currently work at the hospital, volunteer, and am prepping for a mission trip in December. 

Please feel free to give me any tough love!

TO ADD: I submitted CASPA 07/30, verified 08/04, and Supp App 07/18. 

I was originally REJECTED before the deadline.... but it turned out they got the wrong pre-req for my anatomy. After I clarified everything with the wrong information they reviewed, I was contacted by the director, whom apologized for the mistake and said that my application is being re-evaluated. Soon after, I got the emailing saying my app was good. No word on hearing back for an interview yet..... Do you guys think that this little issue will ruin my chances? 

Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the situation was rectified so there is no issue. Your GPA is not the best but it's not horrible either. That said, they do look at the GPA. This does not mean everything though and looking at your overall stats I'd say you have a very good chance. Your character means a lot as well so when you do receive an invitation to the interview then be yourself 100% and be honest!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your age?

Just a heads up for people who aren't completely clear on the admissions process at EMU.

Based on the website, over the past 2 years, EMU has interviewed between 70 and 80 students. Unless the process has changed, they do not offer admissions until all interviews are completed.

For those of you who has been offered an interview, GOOD LUCK.

The reason for Jay leaving has nothing to do with the abilities or accreditation status of the EMU PA Program, so do not let that deter you. The interim program director is just as awesome as Jay Peterson.

Just a heads up for people who aren't completely clear on the admissions process at EMU.

Based on the website, over the past 2 years, EMU has interviewed between 70 and 80 students. Unless the process has changed, they do not offer admissions until all interviews are completed.

For those of you who has been offered an interview, GOOD LUCK.

The reason for Jay leaving has nothing to do with the abilities or accreditation status of the EMU PA Program, so do not let that deter you. The interim program director is just as awesome as Jay Peterson.

Do you know how many students they are accepting this year?

No, the situation was rectified so there is no issue. Your GPA is not the best but it's not horrible either. That said, they do look at the GPA. This does not mean everything though and looking at your overall stats I'd say you have a very good chance. Your character means a lot as well so when you do receive an invitation to the interview then be yourself 100% and be honest!

Do you mind maybe looking at my stats as well?

Graduation Date: May 2017
University: Wayne State University 
Major: Bachelor of Arts in Nutrition and Food Science

Pre-Req GPA: 3.64
Science GPA (CASPA): 3.45 (3.62 Non-CASPA)
Last 60 GPA (not sure if they look at this): 3.77

Advanced Human Anatomy- 4.0
Advanced Human Physiology- 4.0
Inorganic Chemistry- 4.0
Organic Chemistry- 3.7
Organic Chemistry Lab- 3.3
Microbiology- 4.0
Developmental/ Lifespan Psychology- 3.0
Statistics- 2.7

Overall CASPA GPA: 3.42 (3.6 non-CASPA)

Patient Contact Hours: 5575 (paid, Medical Assistant at urgent care clinic)

Healthcare Experience: Clinical Volunteer Leader and Volunteer Phlebotomist at a free clinic in Detroit

Shadowing Hours: ~50 (Rapid response and stroke team at Beaumont hospital and also shadowed PAs through my job over the past four and a half years) 

Letters of Reccomendation: 1 from family medicine PA at the free clinic I volunteer at, 1 from my boss who've I've worked with for four and a half years and is an MD, and 1 from my microbiology professor.

Extra Curricular:

-Pre-PA Society, President (Wayne State University)
-Clinical Volunteer Leader (HUDA Free Clinic in Detroit)
-Outreach Coordinator on student advisory board (HUDA Free Clinic in Detroit) I recruit providers from all different specialties to see our patients free of charge (because they are uninsured)
-Camp Counselor for 4 years
-ESL Tutor for half a year

Everyone, feel free to critique my stats and let me know how my chances look! 

Thanks! :)

Sarah your stats are fine. The highest GPA and your science GPA is what they look at. The people with the higher GPA may get first interview dates but that's alright, you'll get your shot. Just be honest during the interview. They just want people who can successfully get through the program and be solid PAs. Your experience and clinical hours will go a long way.

Good luck!

I just recently turned 24. 

I know that they look at the 3 GPAs and choose the highest to rank you (this is what they told me at an info meeting). 

cGPA= 3.1

Last 60 Credits= 3.7

Pre-Req= 3.77

With that said, do you think that betters my chances? Like I said, I haven't received any other information or interview invites from them. 

I just recently turned 24. 

I know that they look at the 3 GPAs and choose the highest to rank you (this is what they told me at an info meeting). 

cGPA= 3.1

Last 60 Credits= 3.7

Pre-Req= 3.77

With that said, do you think that betters my chances? Like I said, I haven't received any other information or interview invites from them. 

3.77 is not bad so you do have a good chance. The first round of interviews starts today. There are two interview days this week and two next week. They will send out more invites after that no doubt.

Hi All,

I received the e-mail today with my rejection to the program. I am not surprised though. I was planning on applying next year because my pre-reqs expired for other programs. I was hesitant, but I decided to give EMU a shot before I registered. I began the PA journey in 2009. But that year I found out I was expecting my first child and plans went on hold as our family expanded (boys born in 2010, 2012, 2014). Throughout having the kids, I got my CNA and worked off and on as an RCA in assisted living from 2013-2016. When I got a job as a PCT at a hospital, I decided this position would be sufficient PCE. All my pre-reqs were completed in 2009-2010 (while working) and three days after my last final, I gave birth to my first boy.

So now that the boys are off to school, I will pack in those pre-reqs again for winter and spring/summer semesters. I have a feeling they would like to see I am able to handle to work load after being out of class for awhile. All eggs were in one basket for EMU, but once I complete these pre-reqs (again) I can apply to WSU and DetMercy.

So here are my stats:

app submitted/complete: 8/30

e-mail of minimum requirements met: 9/16

e-mail of declined interview: 9/26

cUnderGradGPA : 2.64 (did horribly my first 2 years and 16 years later this still haunts me)

cGraduateGPA: 3.7

postBac Science: 3.65

overall science: 3.35

HCE: RCA (cna) 3,120 hrs; PCT 1,224 hrs; Shadowing PA-C (cross-sectional radiology) 12hrs; hospice volunteer 100hrs (back in 2010)

Ref Letters: RN, BSN Nurse Educator, Nursing Supervisor, and RN with whom I worked closely on a daily basis.

In the rejection letter, they said that I could contact them in January to see where I can make improvements. At this point January is too long for me to wait because I have to register for winter classes. But I will see which GPAs they used because I was hoping they used my Grad (3.7) and pre-req (3.65).

So this is the course of action:

-retake all science pre-reqs only 6 in total

-more shadowing/ volunteer/extracurricular 

-at least 1 ref letter from PA or MD

-submit my applications by beginning of July

Super long thread. I'm sorry about that, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. I'm a mom of 3 (ages 2,4,6) and work 3-12hr overnight shifts a week and my unit is labor intensive. So finding the time to shadow/volunteer will be minimal. I hope hearing this is helpful to some of you! 

Best of luck to those of you who have interviews or have not received a reply yet! Best wishes and hopes that the anticipation of awaiting a response ends soon for others. And to those who did not get accepted to EMU or elsewhere, just keep chipping away at it, you'll get there!

Archived