LSU Shreveport 2016-2017 cycle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we get an email 2 weeks after our interview regardless their decision or only if we get accepted/ rejected? I know Ms. Bigler mentioned something about the second week of december being their final decision time.

I don't think so (but I could be wrong).  I think you could interview in October and get accepted in December, as I understand it.

Do we get an email 2 weeks after our interview regardless their decision or only if we get accepted/ rejected? I know Ms. Bigler mentioned something about the second week of december being their final decision time.

From what I understood: You will only hear from them 2 weeks after the interview if you are accepted. There will only be a few from each date that are accepted early (2 weeks after interview). The rest will go in the pool for them to decide by mid-Dec on acceptance/waitlisted/rejected. By mid-Dec everyone will know their status.

If you don't hear anything within 2 weeks of your interview, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was waitlisted as well. During the interview process, they said they pulled 8/10 from the waitlist last year.

That's so weird because I was told it's usually no more than 4.  Just throwing that out there...

Also, my friend's cousin, who was waitlisted last year, was outright rejected this year after acquiring even more health care experience.  GO FIGURE.

That's so weird because I was told it's usually no more than 4. Just throwing that out there...

Also, my friend's cousin, who was waitlisted last year, was outright rejected this year after acquiring even more health care experience. GO FIGURE.

It's true ^

Myself and another friend were both waitlisted last year. Got more HCE (600+ more hours) and we were both rejected this year after interviewing

It's true ^

Myself and another friend were both waitlisted last year. Got more HCE (600+ more hours) and we were both rejected this year after interviewing

I am so sorry.  That stinks more than my situation.  I would really like to see a profile of an admitted student--maybe I will create a post for that.  I think their ideal student has an extremely high GPA (higher average than most PA programs).  As far as HCE, I think they like to see at least 1,000 but probably 2,000 is better.  I don't know how they feel about the GRE. I'm sure the higher the better.   I think grades seem to matter here ALOT more than most places.  Apparently, this was a highly competitive year.  I thought their interview system with the MMI setup was strange compared to the other place I interviewed.  No way they could get to know a candidate using that system. 

I see a lot of questions about wait listed applicants and what to expect...I can give you a little bit of info but this is from when the previous program director was there so things may be different now. I had a friend from my class that interviewed in January, was wait listed, and found out in March that he was accepted. Again, I am not sure how things work with the new administration but that was once instance from my class.

Also, when I was applying, I don't think they looked very heavily on HCE. Obviously, it cant hurt to have more but I truly don't think it is make or break. Referring to the same individual as above, that student had NO HCE, a decent GPA, moderate GRE, and some shadowing. Again, different program director. I have no idea what Bigler's criteria are. I would hope that they would be similar but maybe they aren't. Grades are important but I think trends are more important. if you sucked in the beginning of your undergrad career then picked it up and did well probably is looked more highly upon than vice versa. if you do have some hiccups along the way, be ready to have a good explanation as to why. I had to explain some of my grades at my interview.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the program potentially being put on probation?

I see a lot of questions about wait listed applicants and what to expect...I can give you a little bit of info but this is from when the previous program director was there so things may be different now. I had a friend from my class that interviewed in January, was wait listed, and found out in March that he was accepted. Again, I am not sure how things work with the new administration but that was once instance from my class.

Also, when I was applying, I don't think they looked very heavily on HCE. Obviously, it cant hurt to have more but I truly don't think it is make or break. Referring to the same individual as above, that student had NO HCE, a decent GPA, moderate GRE, and some shadowing. Again, different program director. I have no idea what Bigler's criteria are. I would hope that they would be similar but maybe they aren't. Grades are important but I think trends are more important. if you sucked in the beginning of your undergrad career then picked it up and did well probably is looked more highly upon than vice versa. if you do have some hiccups along the way, be ready to have a good explanation as to why. I had to explain some of my grades at my interview.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the program potentially being put on probation?

I read somewhere (and it's very hard to find) that their AVERAGE accepted GPA was 3.8, which is significantly higher than most programs (LSU New Orleans is 3.66).  They now like to see a good bit of healthcare experience (especially if you don't have a super high GPA--like 3.9 or something like that).  I don't think even 500-600 hours would be considered enough IF you had a GPA below 3.8.  

Just out of curiosity, I checked that website of the organization that accredits PA programs and it is not up to date.  

What are the reasons for the potential probation?  Doesn't it have something to do with their very awful website?

I am so sorry. That stinks more than my situation. I would really like to see a profile of an admitted student--maybe I will create a post for that. I think their ideal student has an extremely high GPA (higher average than most PA programs). As far as HCE, I think they like to see at least 1,000 but probably 2,000 is better. I don't know how they feel about the GRE. I'm sure the higher the better. I think grades seem to matter here ALOT more than most places. Apparently, this was a highly competitive year. I thought their interview system with the MMI setup was strange compared to the other place I interviewed. No way they could get to know a candidate using that system.

I think it does have more to do with trends like someone mentioned. Because I was accepted and I'm in the 3.3-3.4 gpa range but mainly due to a really bad freshman semester. GRE Verbal 161 Quantitative 157 Writing 4.0 and mid around 1,600 patient care hours. Idk if that helps any!

Archived