is it appropriate for a schools to communicate about acceptances?

I have recently been accepted to a school with multiple campuses.  Each is accredited separately.  I have now received an email that I think is ethically wrong and just wanted some insight on what I should do. 

A about a week ago I got an email from admissions at a school I was accepted to stating that they were aware I was accepted to another campus and they wanted to know which one I was going to before continuing to process my paper work (even though they have already taken my deposit).  Let me just preface this by saying one of the campuses was the first interview/acceptance I had so I paid the deposit (obviously) and did not have any other interviews scheduled until a month later.  The first school is closer to home (only about a 2 hour drive) and the second is in a different state.  So I have a  lot to consider. Now that I have been accepted to the second school it is still only July and I have other interviews scheduled.  I feel that it is unacceptable/unprofessional to ask me about other acceptances and tell me I have to choose when I am still interviewing. I was under the impression that schools were not supposed to communicate about those matters.  Am I wrong? 

What would you do in my situation? Not respond to the email at all? Or respond honestly saying I am still interviewing?

Thanks in advance!

If it's the same school with multiple campuses....that might be different than say one school communicating with a completely different school (which would never happen).

Honestly, if you are accepted to both campuses - don't you in theory know that you will only attend one of them?  Why would you leave deposits at both of those programs if you've decided which of those to attend?  Either way, as long as you have ONE of those programs lined up, you can keep interviewing and they won't know about it and should you be offered an interview/acceptance at another program later in the cycle, you can always pull out of the first program at any time before it starts.

Basically they want you to choose between their 2 campuses at this point - they aren't asking you to not interview or accept at OTHER programs.  Your only way out is to pick one of the 2 campuses, as far as I can tell.  Keep interviewing at other programs - they can't stop you from that.

It's not "ethically wrong."  It's one institution.Pick one of their campuses that accepted you (as far as they're concerned) and keep interviewing elsewhere if you want.

I paid not one but two deposits to hold a seat at the first place that accepted me. That way, I knew I was going somewhere (as it turned out, somewhere else).

Be careful about ascribing something you think as wrong as "ethically wrong" so quickly. Most things that are wrong in life are wrong with the people involved having not thought things through.

Call me "wrong" and I can deal with it easily. Call me "ethically wrong" and you'll get my hackles up!

It's not "ethically wrong."  It's one institution.Pick one of their campuses that accepted you (as far as they're concerned) and keep interviewing elsewhere if you want.

I paid not one but two deposits to hold a seat at the first place that accepted me. That way, I knew I was going somewhere (as it turned out, somewhere else).

Be careful about ascribing something you think as wrong as "ethically wrong" so quickly. Most things that are wrong in life are wrong with the people involved having not thought things through.

Call me "wrong" and I can deal with it easily. Call me "ethically wrong" and you'll get my hackles up!

I guess I just misunderstood because this institution made it well known that each campus (all in different states) are not affiliated whatsoever.  When specifically told us that they are each their own program accredited separately, none of the same staff, the courses are different, and they don't even start on the same day, I assumed that meant each was treated as it's own school (I guess thats what I get for assuming).  I know some programs such as Barry University has multiple campuses but they all share the exact same lectures.  This school is not that way at all.  Thanks for giving me some insight!

If it's the same school with multiple campuses....that might be different than say one school communicating with a completely different school (which would never happen).

Honestly, if you are accepted to both campuses - don't you in theory know that you will only attend one of them?  Why would you leave deposits at both of those programs if you've decided which of those to attend?  Either way, as long as you have ONE of those programs lined up, you can keep interviewing and they won't know about it and should you be offered an interview/acceptance at another program later in the cycle, you can always pull out of the first program at any time before it starts.

Basically they want you to choose between their 2 campuses at this point - they aren't asking you to not interview or accept at OTHER programs.  Your only way out is to pick one of the 2 campuses, as far as I can tell.  Keep interviewing at other programs - they can't stop you from that.

I paid the deposits at both because the first one I went to was my first interview (at the beginning of June) at that point I had to pay the deposit when I was accepted because I didn't know if I would get in anywhere else.  I don't think anyone would take that gamble at this point with how competitive things are.  The second program I felt more "at home" with and it is much more established (I forgot to mention 1st program I would be in the inaugural class).   The problem is first program is closer to home second program is in another state but I liked it more.  

I would not have an issue with the institution wanting to know right now if they did not emphasize that they are all different schools under the "umbrella" of a school name.  Each is accredited separately, has different staff, different course schedules, and makes you pay your fees separately.  I would think that if that is the case, they should not be sharing information just because they can.  Clearly I am wrong because they are... lol.  I haven't made my mind up fully and I feel that if they cashed my 1000 deposit and then emailed me the next day to see where I am going that I should at the very least have a little bit of time and privacy to decide.

Thanks so much for the response!  I definitely see where you're coming from!  This is a HUGE decision and one that I do not want to choose wisely.  

My gut reaction is that if institutions are going to offer you multiple opportunities to pay non-refundable seat deposits, they can just stay quiet.

If they all want to collaborate and then give you multiple offers of acceptance at the same time, you can choose then, and they can ask.

FWIW - Unless you loved these programs, I would personally take the situation as a poor sign and would seriously consider not attending either of them.  Assuming, of course, that you continue to interview and get accepted elsewhere, I would weight this...pushy? behavior from the program and it would negatively sway my decision in the long run.

I agree, keep a deposit, don't gamble (and don't burn bridges at this point), but should you find yourself with acceptances elsewhere you might remember this situation when considering where to attend.

FWIW - Unless you loved these programs, I would personally take the situation as a poor sign and would seriously consider not attending either of them.  Assuming, of course, that you continue to interview and get accepted elsewhere, I would weight this...pushy? behavior from the program and it would negatively sway my decision in the long run.

I agree, keep a deposit, don't gamble (and don't burn bridges at this point), but should you find yourself with acceptances elsewhere you might remember this situation when considering where to attend.

Very wise advice! Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I had a similar situation. However it was with a job opportunity. I had applied to a hospital system and they have two different locations near my house. I had interviews scheduled at both. However, the 2nd location had called me about a day after I had an interview at the 1st location. I told the hiring manager ON THE PHONE that I had a job offer pending at the other location, but she said we could go ahead and schedule anyway. Well, I get a phone call from the 1st location stating they were unaware I had another interview scheduled and it was inappropriate to be having other interviews. I explained the situation and my previous conversation with the other hiring manager, but they still wanted an on-the-spot answer. They also wanted me to put in a 7 day notice in at my current employer, which was on my PA application, so they could get me "trained right away." I'm calling BS. Safe to say I did not work at either location. Sounds to me though that the institution isn't make such outlandish requests. They simply want an answer regarding which campus you would prefer. I would keep one seat based on your initial impression of each campus, and then if you get another offer at a different university you can take that one! Best of luck! 

Dude, I had a similar situation. However it was with a job opportunity. I had applied to a hospital system and they have two different locations near my house. I had interviews scheduled at both. However, the 2nd location had called me about a day after I had an interview at the 1st location. I told the hiring manager ON THE PHONE that I had a job offer pending at the other location, but she said we could go ahead and schedule anyway. Well, I get a phone call from the 1st location stating they were unaware I had another interview scheduled and it was inappropriate to be having other interviews. I explained the situation and my previous conversation with the other hiring manager, but they still wanted an on-the-spot answer. They also wanted me to put in a 7 day notice in at my current employer, which was on my PA application, so they could get me "trained right away." I'm calling BS. Safe to say I did not work at either location. Sounds to me though that the institution isn't make such outlandish requests. They simply want an answer regarding which campus you would prefer. I would keep one seat based on your initial impression of each campus, and then if you get another offer at a different university you can take that one! Best of luck! 

so CRAZY and totally inappropriate!  Luckily I will not be attending either program I got a call Monday form a program I really loved offering me a spot ! 

As it works out I got a call monday from a different program offering me a seat to start this upcoming Monday 8/1 so I will be taking your advice and not attending either program!

I would inform them via typewritten letter of your decision to attend a different program and PS it with a brief description of how this situation impacted your decision.  Programs swamped with applicants can easily take their popularity to indicate they can break, bend, or flaunt written or unwritten rules.  They are rarely called out on their infractions, playing on desperate applicants.

Archived