Experienced Derm Job Offer - Your Thoughts Please

I am an experienced PA with 6.5 years total experience  - 3 years in surgery and 3.5 years in dermatology.  

I got a job offer in major city in North Carolina.

$120 K base Salary 

4.5 day workweek, avg. 30-35 patients/day, but they are expecting to see more

20% production bonus on collections over $250 K after 16 months

$1500 / year for CME

$1500 / year for license and DEA

Malpractice and health insurance

3 weeks for vacation/sick/CME; 4 weeks after 1 year

24 month non-compete covering five counties in the metro area where they have offices.

If anyone has the recent AAPA Salary report, can you give me some feedback?

I am an experienced PA with 6.5 years total experience  - 3 years in surgery and 3.5 years in dermatology.  

I got a job offer in major city in North Carolina.

$120 K base Salary 

4.5 day workweek, avg. 30-35 patients/day, but they are expecting to see more

20% production bonus on collections over $250 K after 16 months

$1500 / year for CME

$1500 / year for license and DEA

Malpractice and health insurance

3 weeks for vacation/sick/CME; 4 weeks after 1 year

24 month non-compete covering five counties in the metro area where they have offices.

If anyone has the recent AAPA Salary report, can you give me some feedback?

base salary seems okay

need to have FULL access to all books and everything that is performed by you credited to you

I do not work in Derm so I don't know if that % is fair (seems low)

CME low, but with another $1500 for lic and DEA might not be bad - if it is able to be countered, just ask for $5k per year for expense account...

Health insurance - full family coverage??  YES

Vacation time is WAY low.....  need to have 13 vacation days for holidays, and I would say 4 weeks vacation and one week CME

24 MONTH - NO WAY - I would say no thank you to any non-compete and certainly not 5 counties!!  I would say 5 miles around your primary job site and that is it - THIS COULD BE A DEAL BREAKER!  YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY TO REVIEW

As for AAPA salary data - it is free if you are a member......

ventana,

Thank you for your excellent feedback!

Regarding the non-compete, yeah, I agree with you.  I'll be working at two primary sites, so like you've suggested elsewhere, a short radius restriction around those two locations for 6 months to a year seems reasonable for a PA.

I did let my AAPA membership lapse since I have not been working for the past few months, but I will renew once I start working.  Could you pull some numbers for derm PAs working in the Southeast for me?

• 2 weeks later...

As for the non-compete clause, there are some states in the US where non-competes are not enforceable, and in most states there are strict limits to how restrictive they can be.  In other words, it could be better to just leave the non-compete as it is because it sounds ridiculous and therefore unenforceable (of course have an attorney give input, but even then it's still a bit of a gamble as nothing is guaranteed in our legal system)

Archived