1,000 hours direct patient care experience ideas without undergrad bio degree?

Hello

So one criteria to get into PA program is "1,000 hours direct patient care experience". Besides EMT what are some other great areas I could do?

I should also add I do not have a bio degree. I had a totally different degree in East Asian Studies/ Japanese and am switching gears to go back to school to be a PA. Some of these direct patient care jobs seem to need a bio undergrad degree. Is there direct patient care that doesn't require a degree or lengthy certification process? Between that and prerequisites and the experience itself I don't want to wrack up years and years

Thanks so much

To your point, I've had quite a few friends who got into medical school and one into PA school with non-bio degrees. They were in fact complemented on not being bio majors. I think it displays a candidate who is a little more broad then the typical pool 

Hello

So one criteria to get into PA program is "1,000 hours direct patient care experience". Besides EMT what are some other great areas I could do?

I should also add I do not have a bio degree. I had a totally different degree in East Asian Studies/ Japanese and am switching gears to go back to school to be a PA. Some of these direct patient care jobs seem to need a bio undergrad degree. Is there direct patient care that doesn't require a degree or lengthy certification process? Between that and prerequisites and the experience itself I don't want to wrack up years and years

Thanks so much

Get as much experience as you can. It will only make you a better PA. I'm a fan of the EMT/ER Tech route, since it's the way I went. However, there are other good ways to build experience. The important thing is that you work with patients, ideally having to do procedures, and if possible, some independent decision making.

Don't worry about the degree. My degree is in a completely different field. I went back to school to get my science prereqs and worked in the mean time. Took me 3 years, but that time opened doors to many great PA school opportunities.

Archived