A few questions about NOVA...

Hi everybody I am glad I found this forum its been a big help. Right now I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist working in Orlando and am looking to apply to NOVA next year. I have the chemistry's to take (I,II, and Organic), which will all be completed this year. I want to apply for the 2014 start date. I have completed all other Pre-Reqs as I needed them for RRT school.

I had a 3.8 throughout respiratory school and a 3.2 cumulative. Will take the GRE in the next couple months.

My only set back is that I don't have a bachelors. I will begin my 1 year bachelors program in Jan 2013. So My question is when I go to apply to NOVA, I will still be in the bachelors program. Will this ruin my chances of getting in. Do they like applicants who have fully completed the requirements? What can you tell me from your experience or knowledge about this program. Thanks!!

As long as you finish your Bachelors before you matriculate, they aren't likely to hold it against you. The reason they usually prefer applicants who already have their bachelors is because they expect them to accumulate health care hours during their year/years off. But it seems to me since you are already working as a RT, you will have the health care experience they prefer. As long as you do well during your 1-year program (hopefully increasing your GPA), I don't think you will have any issues. Just make sure to get shadowing experience (from a PA, not MD). Good luck! :)

You just keep track of the hours yourself. CASPA will ask you for the PA's information but no documentation to "prove" it. It would be a good idea to build a good relationship with the PA so that you can ask them for a letter of recommendation later. You will need 3. Nova specifies 2 must be from Healthcare Providers. CASPA gives you the option of having your writers submit their letters electronically (which is faster) or via postal mail.

Once the CASPA application opens up for your cycle (probably around March 2013), you should start filling it out. It takes a while (you have to input every single course and its details one by one). Applying as soon as possible will increase your chances of getting accepted and makes it less stressful to plan out your future.

Archived