• 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PAStobe
      Hey Everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. For the longest time, I was dead set on going to Rutgers/UMDNJ (since I did undergrad here), but applied to 9 other programs, just in case. As it turns out, I was accepted to Rutgers very early before hearing from any other schools. Since PCOM was my #2 school, I decided to go to the interview and loved it! Now that I have been accepted, I cannot decide which program to do. Both programs are relatively the same price with PCOM being a year shorter.

I’ve seen posts like this before and I understand that it is an individual decision that I have to make myself, but I am hoping for any insight from any current students or practicing PAs about how much this all matters! 

Rutgers
      Pros:
      Good Reputation-Program since 1976 Good PA faculty that teach clinical classes High PANCE Pass (High 90's-always above average) 11 Rotations 9 required/2 elective ICU/Critical Care is a required rotation-what I am interested in Paid Deposit already  3 years-allows you to learn more material  
      Cons: 
      First semester is only a review of science prereqs-biochem, genetics, cell bio etc.
      Do not start anything clinically related until 2nd/3rd semesters. 
      Facilities are older
      Completed Undergrad here-time for something new?
      No white coat ceremony-seems trivial, but it is something that I have always dreamed of...
      Prosected cadavers
      Approximately 1-2 people decelerate per semester due to variety of reasons (some academic)
      PCOM
      Pros:
      High PANCE pass rate (usually 95% or above) Brand new simulation lab See standardized patients weekly from the sart of the fall semester Faculty appeared responsive/welcoming during interview day  Connected with Osteopathic med school Allows for use of DaVinci simulator Campus had a "welcoming" vibe 26 month program-done quicker Dissected cadavers-first summer is spent only doing anatomy/phys  
      Cons: 
      Less rotations ​8 rotations 7 required/1 elective No mandatory ICU rotation Not as strong reputation as Rutgers/UMDNJ PCOM-1998 Rutgers-1976  
      If anyone could give me any insight at all, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have about 2 weeks to decide whether to accept PCOM's offer or not. 
    • By rtamakawa
      I didn't notice a forum for this program, so I thought I would try to start one.  
    • By McMEDIC
      So, I thought I would start a thread to calm some nerves (or worsen them if you haven't studied) as to my pre-PANCE habits and averages. I hope other feel free to add!

Study Time:

4 solid weeks.
      The last 2 weeks I focused were focused on "the big 4"
      (cardiology, respiratory, musculoskeletal, and GI)

Study Tools: (Both CME4LIFE and Rutgers have discounts, private message me for details if after you
      have played around with them and like them to save some $$)

CME4LIFE PANCE PREP Videos - great linking techniques, make recalling information quick and
      easy. Felt like this was worth every penny! Sitting for 5 hours
      your brain begins to 2nd guess itself. However, the linking
      techniques made recalling answers EASY! So I felt confident
      with my answers.

Rutgers - MY CME - This is a must have for me. It was a full review of all of the blueprint topics but
      wasn't so deep that you'd get in the weeds. This (added with CME4LIFE) was
      the BEST decision I had made for PANCE prep!

Comprehensive Review NCCPA BOOK - eh.... This wasn't my favorite. But it was a nice reference
      when I wanted a little deeper answer than what Rutgers or
      CME4LIFE gave.

Now for the study guides:

PAeasy - I would do 60 question quizzes and would allow for it to show me if I was right or wrong. I would read the correct answer and the explanation to EACH question. (I know people say they have something like a +/-5% accuracy HOWEVER if you read the explanations you can dodge that issue)
      PAeasy scores- averaged high 60's to 80's for each 60 question block. Overall score of 73%

Kaplan - I would do the same as paeasy. The question were harder, no doubt, and I would score 60%-70%

Final word, I walked out of the PANCE feeling like I passed. In the past I would have horrible anxiety testing/post-test but I really felt like I was a week away from getting my "C" and sure enough I got it yesterday. SO, good luck to you all! Now go STUDY!!!
    • By truth-sets-in
      Hi guys, 

I am currently a sophomore at rutgers university.  I am applying to 1 accelerated program with Rutgers/UMDNJ this upcoming April.  Can you please review my criteria in order to help me strengthen my application???  Please keep in mind that I am starting my sophomore year this September, so I have not had as much time as traditional applicants.  

Major: Public health (no minor required because it is a credit intensive major)
      cGPA: 3.95 (got 1 B+ in english)
      sGPA: 4.0 (took orgo at community college)

I still have to take bio I/II/lab.  Rutgers does not require any upper level bio prereqs to apply.  Will finish Bio I by the time I apply.  I will be able to apply while still having prereqs pending.  

HCE: 

-dental assistant/surgical assistant: 800 hours, paid
      -currently a Physical/Occupational therapist aide: 450 hours by the time I apply (paid)
      -Taking a CNA course currently, 40 hours of clinical experience (volunteer)
      - Senior Squad member- work along side EMT's and paramedics/respond to emergency calls- 350 hours by the time i apply (volunteer)
      TOTAL HCE HOURS: 1640 hours

SHADOWING EXPERIENCE: 

- shadowed 5 different PA's (including an experience at Riker's Island and the Hospital for Special Surgery), in the specialities of cardio surgery, orthopedics, psych, bariatrics, and general surgery. - totals at 40 hours
      - accepted into a shadowing program during winter 2014- unknown amount of hours. 

School involvement: 

-AIMS: achievements in math and science- a program for freshman students with a strong interest in math and science- access to mentors/tutors/guest speakers/field trips/reserved seats in science and math courses
      - NSCS- honor society for top 10% of freshman and sophomore students
      - Sigma Delta Tau- social sorority
      - pledge class scholarship chair-  ensure the pledge class maintains academics during the pledging process
      - Rutgers Blog writer- able to give advice and share my experiences using the Rutgers Blog as a medium
      - Allied Heath Professions Club
      - Eta Gamma Sigma- honor society for public health students

LETTERS OF REC: at least 3
      - Owner of dental practice where i worked
      - Physical Therapist where i currently work
      - A PA who has mentored me/set up shadowing experiences for me
      - My orgo professor
      - Possibly my frozen yogurt boss/owner (ive worked there for 4 years)

Work NON HCE

- frozen yogurt- past 4 years, train new people, open/close store, etc
      - RU disability services- scribe for disabled- take and upload notes from a variety of classes

Volunteer non HCE

- dance marathon for embrace the children- 35 hours
      - Prevent Child Abuse 5k race- 5 hours

HOW CAN I STRENGTHEN MY CHANCES OF GETTING IN?!?!?!??!?! PLEASE OFFER ADVICE

• By mic87
      Just wondering if anyone has heard back yet? I recently got an email stating that I wasn't competitive enough for the program. My GPA is 3.97. I have over 6 years of HCE, and 2 years of research. Besides the prerequisites, I have taken Biochemistry, Calculus, Physics, Neuroscience A&P I and II.. and many more courses and experiences.
      Geez what else do they require? 
      I believe that it was a mistake- perhaps some email glitch.
      I have a meeting with the admission officer tomorrow. 
      I'm wondering if anyone else is having these issues?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More