2016-2017 GWU Application Thread

Guest GoyaHoya69

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They shoot for a class size of 60-70, and that includes the MPH-1s currently in the program, so probably 50-60 accepted out of 240 interviewing (60 x 4 interview days). I believe total applicant pool this year was near 3000.

Very sorry to hear that vavlp but if you got an interview here it means you can definitely be a PA. Chin up.

We do get to go into the cadaver lab a few times (generally 3 hour blocks in the afternoon) but they are already prosected. Honestly with the pace of the program I don't know that we'd have enough time to do the dissections ourselves. And the med students are always stinking up Ross Hall with formaldehyde :P.

Hope everyone had a good time last weekend. If I interviewed you I promise I'm much more personable and less distant in real life (I struggled a lot not to crack jokes or "insert" myself into the interview - it's about you!) Sincerely wish all of you the best of luck.

Hey Everyone!

Congrats to all who received interview invites, for those who did not keep pushing and remember why you want to be a PA!

I have a few questions for anyone who's a part of the program at GWU, and greatly appreciate your insight and time!!!

I'd like to know:

1) What housing options or housing resources are available to PA students? What do current PA students do for housing, on campus, shared off campus housing?

2) How diverse is the student body?

3) Are there any international rotations/missions available?

4) How supported, by your 1. classmates  and 2. the faculty, do you feel if you were struggling in a course or with a specific area? Do you feel exams reflect what you're learning, etc.

5) Overall feel for the experience at GWU, any other insight specific to your program.

Thank you!!

1. Dorm or school provided housing is not available to PA students, so you have to arrange it independently. It really comes down to what your preferences and goals are. Many people live right in Foggy Bottom because they want to live in DC and be really close to school, but they pay more and have smaller places generally. A lot of people also live in North Virginia in Arlington or Alexandria. It's further away (putting you at the mercy of the Metro) but cheaper and more spacious. I live in the Courthouse region of Arlington with another guy from the program and we really like it. Some people live with random other people they knew in the area, Craigslist, significant others, or by themselves. I don't know of anyone that absolutely hates their living situation. Like I said it depends on what you're looking for and what you value. Cost of living is high.

2. Very diverse in experiences, not very diverse racially unfortunately. This is something that the program is working on and identifies as an area to improve. Ages range from 22 to 55, clustered around mid to late 20s. 3:1 female:male ratio.

3. There are not, as it's very difficult to get liability coverage and make sure the programs meet GW's requirements. Also most countries do not have PAs or equivalent professions so it's tough to explain what our scope of practice is. No reason you can't go on missions over your breaks (currently eyeing a spring break Haiti trip over spring break with 2 of my classmates) but it would have to be self-organized.

4. I feel well supported. We're all in this together and even though everyone is very smart and accomplished this is a very tough and fast-paced program. Everyone is feeling the grind, especially around this time of year. We have a massive class Google Drive where resources and study guides are posted, as well as a class Quizlet. We have an EKG test next Tuesday (help :|) and the people who were medics and know 12-leads and stuff already have been holding review sessions and so on.

In terms of emotional support our class, for the most part, is very good. It's not competitive and like you can see above is very collaborative. Frankly I don't know anybody's GPA or standing in the class and all I care about is that mine starts with a 3. (3.0 is the GPA for good academic standing). Like I mentioned this semester has been much more grueling than the summer one was. I failed the first two tests of the semester and was freaking out pretty badly. Before our third test so many people came up to me to reassure me and be supportive and it meant a lot. Afterwards everyone was really excited that I passed. The only question we ask each other about our grades is "did you do well enough?"

I said "most" because, unfortunately, I do feel there are some people in our class who are more judgmental and negative. I wish I could tell you otherwise but I think you deserve an honest answer. It's something I think is really unnecessary and it pains me that we have that negativity but well they're adults and that's the choice they've made. The vast majority of the class is not like that and I wouldn't characterize the program like that at all. The faculty say each class has its own vibe. The one last year was very close, but then apparently a few years ago one of our professors described it as "Trump vs Hillary." I am very grateful to be studying with the people that I am and I am continuously in awe of their intelligence, kindness, and work ethic.

Edit: I want to highlight that these are purely my personal opinions and do not reflect or represent the thoughts of my classmates or the program. Please don't let it dissuade you from applying or attending. I am often wrong about a lot of things.

Speaking of the faculty, they are very good. Don't look up their list of accomplishments before you interview because it's going to intimidate you and it'll take you a long time. They're super humble about it though: we keep piecing together new achievements and accomplishments that they've done because they never bring it up or act like that in class at all. They are very invested in our success and I feel like I have good relationships with all of them. Pretty much any time I see Dr. Wright we talk about how my Vikings are doing (which lately involves her teasing me about how they have apparently fallen off a cliff). When I failed my two tests I ended up speaking with like half of them and they had great advice and were very supportive. I think every single one said something like "Julian, we're not worried about you. You're going to be great." I will be very proud for the rest of my career to say I learned to be a PA from them.

Tests for the most part are fair. There have been a few, er, interesting ones but they've been very responsive to our feedback and it should only improve next year. Some of our faculty write fairer tests than others haha.

5. Honestly it's still surreal to me that I'm here. It's incredible and I would have never expected it to happen to me. I mean, a top 3 program in the nation's capital? My study breaks are literally walking a few blocks south to the Lincoln Memorial and the Mall. One of my friends lives "just north of the White House." Who says that?! I have never regretted coming here. Be ready to work really hard. Be bold and proactive. Reach out to your classmates, faculty, and staff. These are going to be the two most intense years of your life but I firmly believe that we will all be better PAs for it.

One of them just got elected to PAEA president, another is going to serve a second term as PAEA treasurer, another is an ex-PAEA president and basically helped create it, one helped start the PA profession in the UK, one was there and treated some of the very first HIV cases in the US...that's just off the top of my head.

And that's it for this year folks! Thanks to everyone who came out and I hope you had a good and informative experience. Good luck to all of you regardless of where you end up. If you get waitlisted, don't fret, you're looking at a product of the waitlist. If you don't get accepted, don't give up on your dreams to be a PA! If you interviewed here you absolutely have what it takes, just need to find the right fit. I'll continue checking this forum periodically. Sorry, but I won't have any information on when early acceptances go out, when general acceptance goes out, the waitlist, etc. Thanks again for considering GW. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they have met yet or when we can reasonably expect to hear? I know "mid December" but does anyone know a more specific date than that? This is my top choice and will determine if I attend the school I've already been accepted to or not.

They told us they were meeting dec 15! So i would imagine maybe early next week?

Archived